Thursday, January 2, 2014

EPISODE 18 -- SISTER BONDING

SOMERSET EPISODE 18
DRtv airdate: August 6, 2008
Written by: Steve Ungrey

SCENE ONE

FADE IN -- Petterino house


The beginning of this episode is a direct pickup from Episode 17, as Victoria has said something about her looks that Annabella can’t believe.

They are still at the kitchen table having morning coffee as the 18th episode of Somerset begins, and Annabella is talking about life over in Italy while Victoria wipes the sleep out of her eyes and repeats that she’s not the model type.

ANNABELLA
Tell me you didn’t say what you just did.

VICTORIA
It’s true. I’m not in the same league you are, Bella.

Annabella, by now, is incredulous. She runs to her purse, takes out a huge compact and opens it up.

ANNABELLA
Look at yourself, Tori.

VICTORIA
Oh, come on, Annabella… I don’t even have that much makeup on…

ANNABELLA
That’s the point!

Annabella makes Victoria look at herself in the mirror.

ANNABELLA
My God, Tori. Look at you. You’re gorgeous. You’ve got a face that could stop traffic…

VICTORIA
Are you saying this because you’re my sister?

Annabella looks a little surprised, but she isn't. She's seen this side of Victoria before.

ANNABELLA
Wow. I didn’t know my sister had self-esteem issues.

The camera focuses in on Victoria as she looks at her face in the mirror. A light music melody plays as the picture fades to black.

We see an overhead shot of downtown, with the camera slowly pulling away from the buildings. The Somerset logo pops on the screen and goes into position at the center.

BILL WOLFF
This… is Somerset.

This portion of Somerset is brought to you today by Cascade, the dishwashing detergent with sheeting action. Leaves dishes and glasses spotless and shiny.


COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE TWO

FADE IN -- Petterino house


We pick the scene back up as Victoria puts down the compact and gets up from her chair.

VICTORIA
I guess I don’t look that bad, do I?

ANNABELLA
Don’t look that bad… please. Tori, I know you’re so wrapped up in your budding nursing career that you’re not letting yourself go and have fun, but take my advice. I did the same thing when I was a beginning model. I told myself I didn’t have time for guys.

Victoria walks across the room to the coffeemaker, ready to pour another cup.

VICTORIA
Bella, like you said… I’m just 23. You’re around 30. We’ve both got a long life ahead of us when it comes to finding Mr. Right… right?

ANNABELLA
What do you think I’ve been trying to tell you?

VICTORIA
And besides… it’s not like I don’t have a lot of guy friends. I keep in touch with my high school and college buddies, you know.

ANNABELLA
I know you do… I had to listen to you giggling on the phone all throughout high school. And I know one or two in particular. (Smiles) Do you have self-esteem problems?

VICTORIA
I don’t. It’s just I’m not that type of woman.

ANNABELLA
I never knew there was a type. Does that mean I’m vain and insecure just because of what I do? I’m a model, so I should obsess about something?

Victoria spins to face Annabella.

VICTORIA
My God, Bella! No! I didn’t mean it that way. I’m just not the model type.

ANNABELLA
And you think I am when I’m here in the states? No way. I love my anonymity over here. Only a handful of people know that in Italy, I’m one of the (puts up her fingers as if she is quoting) hotter supermodels around.

VICTORIA
While here, you’re just Annabella Petterino.

ANNABELLA
And I love it. The minute I get on that plane and set foot in the states, it’s a relief to not have anyone notice me like that here. I come through customs and pick up my bags just like any ordinary citizen. I can pick my car up out of storage. I can go through a drive-in window and order a cheeseburger without anyone looking at me funny.

Victoria nods her head and gets a sly grin on her face.

VICTORIA
Especially because you’re a model ordering a cheeseburger.

ANNABELLA
Tell me about it. Some models cringe when they get around peanut dust. They worry they’ll put on a pound just by inhaling it.

VICTORIA
With this family, we put on a pound just by inhaling Dad’s cooking.

Annabella pours another coffee and laughs.

ANNABELLA
Make that 10 pounds. We have good cooks for parents. Now come back here, sit down and play catch-up with me. I wanna hear what’s going on in your life.

VICTORIA
Yours is more exciting.

ANNABELLA
Suuuuuure it is.

Music plays in the background as the sisters laugh, able to share a fun moment together. The scene changes.

DISSOLVE TO -- Martin Enterprises

Susannah comes off the elevator into Jack’s office area, just as Joanne is coming out from Jack’s office having placed some faxes and paperwork inside.

JOANNE
Susannah, good morning! Welcome aboard!

Joanne comes over and hugs Susannah.

JOANNE
You nervous at all?

SUSANNAH
A little. I’m not sure what to expect.

JOANNE
You’ll do just fine. You look very nice today, by the way.

SUSANNAH
(Twirls around)
Thank you. I tried to rope a friend of mine into helping me decide what to wear on my first day here at Martin Enterprises. Now he calls this my lawyerly look.

JOANNE
You actually called upon a guy's help... (Laughs) Well, Susannah, you’ll fit in nicely in a courtroom.

SUSANNAH
Thanks. I’ve heard that before. Is the big boss in?

JOANNE
He’s on the phone with the New York financial markets. He’s talking to a contact of his down there. He’ll be out in a second. (Hears door open) His ears must have been burning.

Jack steps out and sees Susannah there.

JACK
Susannah! Good morning and welcome to the first day of the rest of your life.

SUSANNAH
Ah, does this mean lifetime employment?

JACK
I don’t know. That’s up to you. It beat saying welcome to your first day in hell. (Laughs) Come with me, your cubicle awaits.

SUSANNAH
I just get a cubicle?

JACK
Well, actually, you do have an office. You’ll share it with others down the line, but for now it’s yours and yours alone.

Light music plays as Susannah and Jack go down the hall. We see Joanne put on her headphone to take a call as the picture fades to black.

BILL WOLFF
We’ll return to Somerset in just a moment.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

(We see “Salem Days” title card)

The secret you can’t wait to see, as John’s life is turned upside down. Salem Days. Weekdays.


(We see “Somerset” title card with mid-show music)

BILL WOLFF
Somerset... is presented today by Comet, the kitchen and bathroom cleanser that disinfects as it cleans. Available in multiple sizes for kitchen and bathroom use.

We'll return with the second half of Somerset following station identification.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE THREE

FADE IN -- Cleypool mansion


At the Cleypool estate, George is on a call with an investor as Zachary limps down the curved staircase and into the living room. Fenwick arrives with coffee for George and notices Zachary.

FENWICK
Good morning, Master Zachary. Orange juice?

ZACHARY
Sure, Fenwick. If there’s any available.

FENWICK
Mmmmyes sir. I was just in the grove this morning squeezing freshly. I’ll get the carton.

Zachary breaks out laughing.

ZACHARY
I needed that, Fenwick. Thanks.

FENWICK
Glad I could be of service. I shall return.

Fenwick sets coffee by George’s desk and leaves the room. George is finishing up his phone call.

GEORGE
OK, Del. I’ll be in touch and hopefully I’ve got good news to give you. You take care.

George puts down the phone and turns around to face Zachary.

GEORGE
Why the hell didn’t you sleep down here last night? Didn’t the doctor say to stay off your feet?

ZACHARY
No, he said don’t run into the corner of a bed. I’ve already done that.

GEORGE
Very funny, Mr. Sarcasm. How is the ankle feeling?

ZACHARY
It hurts like hell at times, but I’ll live. Are you working from home today?

GEORGE
If you think you can get around here on your own, I’ll probably go into the office and oversee today’s conference call. I’m going to get my team together and discuss our options for Somerset’s urban renewal.

Now Zachary’s interest is piqued.

ZACHARY
Is this like the urban renewal on your cityscape you got several days ago?

GEORGE
I’m trying to put together some sort of deal where we buy this property, wreck it and build fresh on the site.

He points at the map. On the map, with ominous music playing in the background, we see George is pointing at The Peoples Building. The camera zooms in on the map site and the next scene blends in…

DISSOLVE TO -- Martin Enterprises

We see a shot of The Peoples Building out the window, and the camera pans back to show an empty office. Jack and Susannah enter.

JACK
Voila. Susannah, meet your office.

Susannah walks in and looks around. She sets her briefcase down on the desk and nods her head in approval. Looking around, Susannah sees her office has a healthy window view of Somerset.

SUSANNAH
I love this interior. Very nice. As for the outside view... Jack Martin, don’t feel obligated to give me a great view just because you and my dad are old friends.

Jack holds up his hand as if to say “not my doing”.

JACK
Hold it, hold it with the protest, my dear. I think if you look outside any office window on this side you’ll see the same view of Somerset. Goes with the territory when you own the building.

SUSANNAH
Well, either way, I’m going to love working in here. Thank you very much, Jack. Now all I need are some other people in here with me. This office looks a little too big for one person.

JACK
I am working on that as we speak. I’ll be out of town for a couple days on business, but I intend on making it a top priority when I return. I have some resumes of promising people to take a look at.

He points at the desk drawer.

JACK
By the way, we keep the computers strictly secure for safekeeping. Your computer log-in information should be tucked inside your desk.

SUSANNAH
Gotcha. All right, I’ll get right on everything I’ve got to do.

JACK
I haven’t even talked about work with you yet.

SUSANNAH
You see how eager I am to start? (Smiles)

Jack chuckles as Susannah sits down at the desk, turns on the computer and swirls around to look at the view outside. Light music plays as the scene changes.

DISSOLVE TO -- Petterino house

Annabella and Victoria are talking up a storm about her last visit to Italy, but the conversation topic inevitably turns back to life in Somerset.

ANNABELLA
I find it very hard to believe that some guy hasn’t swept you off your feet yet and whisked you away to the Thousand Islands or something.

VICTORIA
I’ve been busy at the hospital…

We see Victoria briefly thinking about Zachary.

VICTORIA
But there IS this cute guy that came in a while back to get treated for an ankle injury he had in a motorbike accident.

ANNABELLA
Ooooo! I’d like to hear about this one.

VICTORIA
Well… there’s really nothing to tell. Except his name. It’s Zachary Cleypool.

Annabella is a little incredulous.

ANNABELLA
THE Zachary Cleypool? As in Cleybank Corporation?

Annabella takes one big gulp of coffee and shakes her head, albeit with a small smile on her face.

ANNABELLA
Ooo boy, Tori.

VICTORIA
I know. I shouldn’t be doing anything like this. I don’t know how often he comes in for therapy but he’s been nothing but supportive to me when he does come in.

ANNABELLA
Well, it sounds to me like you have a winner.

Before Victoria can say anything, the phone rings. Annabella picks it up.

ANNABELLA
Good morning, Petterinos?

Scott is on the other end, already at his office going over cases. We only hear his voice on the phone.

SCOTT
I didn’t wake you guys up, did I?

ANNABELLA
Why not at all, Lt. Garfield. Good morning to you too.

As Victoria chuckles to herself, a light melody plays on piano as Annabella settles in briefly to talk to Scott. The picture fades to black.

BILL WOLFF
We’ll return to Somerset in just a moment.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE FOUR

FADE IN -- Petterino house


Annabella is finishing up her phone call as the scene opens up.

ANNABELLA
I will see you tonight. Give me a call when you figure out what time. (Pause) OK, have a good day! Bye.

Victoria laughs as Annabella puts down the phone.

VICTORIA
Now what about YOUR personal life? I see you have a date with Scott tonight.

ANNABELLA
Tori… (laughs and blushes a bit) It’s not a date. Scott and I are just going for a drink and playing pool. We did that all the time when I was here. You know we go way back.

VICTORIA
How long before you two admit there’s a spark there?

ANNABELLA
Never. (Sees Tori looking kind of skeptical) Tori, I mean it. Scott knows how I feel and I know how he feels. And besides, I can’t wait to share my news with him.

VICTORIA
What news is that?

ANNABELLA
Well… he already knows the gist of it, but I met someone in Italy.

Victoria’s face brightens as Annabella smiles.

VICTORIA
But I don’t know the details. Bella, you give up details right this instant.

ANNABELLA
Well, I don’t really want to share an awful lot in case it doesn‘t work out… he lives here in the states, but he does business occasionally in Italy. I want to keep things kind of quiet because Mom and Dad don’t know about him.

VICTORIA
Yet Scott does. That makes sense.

ANNABELLA
Like I said… we’ve got that kind of friendship.

VICTORIA
Hmm. Okay, whatever you say…

The music plays briefly and then fades as the next scene commences.

DISSOLVE TO -- Cleypool mansion

Back at the Cleypool estate. George is looking at the map and comparing it to the model of Somerset on the table.

ZACHARY
I gotta tell you, Dad, your model of Somerset looks considerably different than the one on the map.

GEORGE
Son, that’s the whole point. This block of Somerset will look a lot different when I’m done with it.

Sinister piano music plays as Zachary looks down and realizes where George is looking.

ZACHARY
But Dad… that includes The Peoples Building… the Woodruff Building… One Somerset Plaza… and all the business on this street. Why would you want to knock the Woodruff Building down? That was just restored in the last several years.

George looks at Zachary pointing at development on Trowbridge Street.

GEORGE
And your point is?

ZACHARY
Some hard-working people own businesses on this block.

George looks at his son and quizzically wonders what the hell is going on.

GEORGE
Son, you getting soft on me? (Pauses) Or do you have a hankering for Italian food all of a sudden?

The music builds in intensity, as the piano theme darkens in mood.

ZACHARY
You’re not serious about the last part, are you?

GEORGE
Restaurant row. Bernard’s. Giovanni’s. The Riverboat Club. Gone. All of them. When I’m done, this town won’t know what hit it.

Zachary looks at George with a little skepticism. Given his stance between his father and how he likes the restaurants, what does he do? The picture fades to black.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Fade in on the closing credits for Somerset as the theme plays.

BILL WOLFF
This... was Somerset.

Women’s shirts by Willow Ridge.
Shoes by Rockport.

(We see “Harpers Falls” title card)

Stay tuned for romance, suspense, and drama... on Harpers Falls, which follows immediately over most of these same stations.

Join us each weekday afternoon at this time for the continuing story of Somerset.

This program was pre-recorded.

No comments:

Post a Comment