Thursday, December 26, 2013

EPISODE 17 -- FIRST DAY JITTERS

SOMERSET EPISODE 17
DRtv airdate: August 5, 2008
Written by: Steve Ungrey

SCENE ONE

FADE IN -- Susannah’s house


We see an exterior shot of Grant’s Preserve in the morning, establishing that it is a new day in Somerset.

Susannah is in her upstairs bathroom, wearing nothing but undergarments and preparing for her first day as a lawyer on the Martin Enterprises payroll.

She is applying makeup and humming to herself as we hear a knock at the downstairs door.

SUSANNAH
What the… who could be here at this hour?

She leans out and yells down the stairs.

SUSANNAH
Come on in! The door’s open.

We hear the doorknob turn and someone enter Susannah’s house. Susannah has turned back towards the mirror to finish doing her face.

SUSANNAH
(Yelling down)
Who’s here?

The voice gives away the fact it is Patrick. He yells up the staircase.

PATRICK
A houseguest who wants to see you off on your first day of work.

Susannah smiles to herself as she continues doing her face.

SUSANNAH
(Nods her head)
Very impressive, Patrick. I thought you were working today.

PATRICK
I was on last night. Alana worked a 12-hour shift yesterday and I took part of that shift because we work well as a team and because I wanted to be awake to see you off this morning. I am working later tonight if you want to find me.

Susannah has thrown on a nightshirt, and she comes downstairs with a few clothes in her hand.

PATRICK
Anyhow, I figured I could use a little rest. But not before I came to see you off.

Patrick notices the clothes in Susannah's hand.

PATRICK
What do I get to do, play Project Runway here or something?

SUSANNAH
Well…

Susannah kisses Patrick on his cheek.

SUSANNAH
You are so sweet to come over here and see me off to work like this. And you are just in time to help me make the most important first decision of my career at Martin.

She holds up two pairs of nylons.

SUSANNAH
What do you think, black or brown?

Patrick laughs.

PATRICK
I’m afraid I don’t have much experience there, Susie. (Snickers) It has been a long time since I've worn pantyhose...

Susannah has that "very funny" look on her face.

SUSANNAH
All right, mister... cut the comedy or I’ll have to wrap these around your neck. Let me phrase it another way.

Susannah holds up her suit jacket.

SUSANNAH
Now then... black or brown?

PATRICK
Oh, I get it. You’re asking me what you would look best in overall. Don’t they say one color makes you look thinner?

Susannah playfully whacks him over the head with her suit jacket.

SUSANNAH
Are you saying I need to lose weight or something? The last I knew...

PATRICK
No, no! Not at all. Isn’t that what they say, anyway? One color gives you the illusion of being thinner?

SUSANNAH
(Holds up a flowery blouse) Well, I’m not exactly going monochrome…

PATRICK
Ah, so you will look a little feminine this morning.

Patrick points at Susannah's black hose.

PATRICK
Then black becomes you.

SUSANNAH
Thank you for the opinion. Now that I’ve gotten it, I’m putting myself together.

PATRICK
I brought a little breakfast, by the way.

Susannah turns as if she's going to head back up the stairs.

SUSANNAH
Oh good! Set it on the counter on your way out…

PATRICK
Huh?

Susannah turns back, smiles and gives Patrick a small smooch on his lips.

SUSANNAH
Gotcha. Hold on tight, I’ll be right back.

Patrick sips his coffee and sits down at the kitchen table, laughing to himself as a light melody plays. The picture fades to black.

We see an overhead shot of downtown, with the camera slowly pulling away from the buildings. The Somerset logo pops on the screen and goes into position at the center.

BILL WOLFF
This… is Somerset.

This portion of Somerset is brought to you today by America’s favorite household cleanser, today’s Spic and Span. It releases its power in water.


COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE TWO

FADE IN -- Petterino house


Victoria is slowly coming downstairs, looking a bit bleary-eyed from the night before. As promised, she spent about 90 minutes crashing on Taylor’s couch before getting in her car and returning home to climb into bed.

She goes into the kitchen but turns away before she can see Annabella at the counter making coffee. Annabella sees her and smiles.

ANNABELLA
Would you like one lump or two with your coffee?

VICTORIA
Two, please. It was a long…

It suddenly hits Victoria who is talking. Her face brightens as she turns toward Annabella.

VICTORIA
Night! BELLA!!

She runs toward Annabella for a tight hug.

VICTORIA
Welcome home, sis!

ANNABELLA
It’s good to be here. (Gets grin on her face) Where were you last night, anyway? It’s not like you to be out so late.

VICTORIA
I didn’t know you were my babysitter. (Laughing)

ANNABELLA
No, you just missed my grand entrance back into Somerset. Didn’t you wonder about the car outside this morning?

VICTORIA
I was kind of out of it last night when I got home. It had been a long day, plus I’d been out with a couple nurse friends of mine. I had tunnel vision. I wanted my own bed.

ANNABELLA
Well, I sped into Somerset last night and had trouble getting in the house, so I finally remembered that Dad usually keeps the porch door open. I shimmied through there and set off the alarm.

Victoria takes a cup of coffee from Annabella.

VICTORIA
Thanks. Oh God, you don’t know how much I need this.

ANNABELLA
Did you work yesterday?

VICTORIA
Yes, I was on duty. Today, thankfully, is one of my days off. But Taylor, Alana and I are talking about a girls night out tonight, so I’ll probably catch up with a nap this afternoon.

ANNABELLA
Do it while you’re young, that’s what I say. (Laughs)

VICTORIA
Well, I went back to Taylor’s and crashed for a little bit, until I felt well enough to drive on my own. Tonight I may just stay there.

ANNABELLA
Smart girl. You always had the brains in the family.

VICTORIA
You had the looks.

Annabella turns to look at Victoria, who many would consider strikingly attractive, and wonders how Victoria could say such a thing.

ANNABELLA
Victoria Petterino, you look at yourself in the mirror and say that line once again. I had the looks? Look at yourself.

Victoria takes out her purse and looks in a compact mirror. She grimaces.

VICTORIA
Right now, I look like someone who had one too many cosmopolitans last night.

Annabella laughs as she takes a cup of coffee herself and sits down. A light melody can be heard in the background as the scene changes.

DISSOLVE TO -- Somerset Hospital

At the hospital, Alana is off the clock but she elected to sleep in the nurses’ lounge until more information on Nick was released. Patrick left an order to spring Nick from the hospital this morning if he felt fine.

Alana goes down the hall and looks in on Nick, who has been sleeping but is awake and struggling a bit to sit up.

ALANA
(Comes in and helps Nick out)
Hey, bud. Let the nurses take care of that.

NICK
Ah, Alana… I’m fine. But it is good to see you, albeit under strange circumstances.

ALANA
You too, honey.

Alana leans down to kiss Nick on his forehead.

ALANA
It’s good to see we can be on speaking terms again after a long time.

NICK
Well, I never wanted to be getting the silent treatment in the first place. I am just glad things thawed out between us. (Looks at Alana) I’m just happy you’re doing something you love.

ALANA
I’ve been meaning to call you and see if you wanted to grab a drink or something and talk as friends, kind of re-establish our friendship.

NICK
I may take you up on that. (Grins) But won’t Mike get jealous?

Alana closes her eyes and shakes her head.

ALANA
Oh, Nick. Not you too. There’s nothing between Mike and myself.

NICK
Not yet, anyway.

ALANA
You just hush your mouth while I check your vitals.

Alana goes through the motions of checking Nick’s blood pressure and everything else, and the prognosis is good.

NICK
Am I going to live?

ALANA
Put it this way. Once those tests come back, if they’re negative you’re a free man. Do you have a ride?

NICK
I was going to call Jack, but I forgot this morning.

ALANA
Ahh, don’t bug Jack. I’m getting ready to leave here and I’ll see if your discharge papers will be ready. I’ll drop you off.

NICK
Is this part of your job?

ALANA
Consider it an old girlfriend paying back someone she cares about. (Leans down to kiss Nick again) I’ll be back.

As Alana leaves the room, Nick closes his eyes and tries to catch a small catnap amidst his groggy feeling. The picture fades to black.

BILL WOLFF
We’ll return to Somerset in just a moment.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

(We see “North Star” title card)

A pair of families living in rural Maryland are the focus of North Star, the new soap that can be seen weekdays.

(We see “Somerset” title card with bumper music)

BILL WOLFF
Somerset.... is brought to you today by Dawn, the dishwashing liquid that cuts through tough grease. Leaves grease off your hands and off your dishes.

We'll return with more of Somerset following station identification.


COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE THREE

FADE IN -- Petterino house


We return to the Petterino kitchen, where Victoria is drinking her coffee and getting acquainted with her sister once again.

VICTORIA
I can’t believe we’re thinking of going out again tonight.

ANNABELLA
Why not? You’re still young. You’re 23 years old. You’re just starting out in your career.

VICTORIA
Joining the nurses at the bar doesn’t hold a candle to the lavish parties you attend, sis. No offense, but…

ANNABELLA
It may surprise you, Tori, but I don’t go to all those lavish parties in Italy. I do my job, I do it well, and a lot of times when I’m away from the cameras I just want to be alone. I take my car and I drive away.

VICTORIA
So no dates with Italy’s glamorous elite, huh?

ANNABELLA
Please. I separate my life there with my life here. The money’s great, but I’m not extravagant by any means. I’ll have to take you for a ride in that sportscar.

VICTORIA
Yeah. Now that I’ve seen it from in here, it DOES look like a dream car.

ANNABELLA
It handles well. It’s also a little fast, like Scott found out last night.

VICTORIA
Ah, I see. (Pauses) So you’re going to lie low?

ANNABELLA
I probably won’t do much today. I’m recovering from yesterday, and I have a feeling Scott may call and we may go get a beer tonight.

VICTORIA
Ah hah. I see.

Annabella turns and looks at Victoria. She lifts a finger and points it at Victoria.

ANNABELLA
Not a word, Tori…

VICTORIA
Okay! I won’t push.

ANNABELLA
I’ll push you instead. Have you let yourself drop the focus on career and start building a social life?

VICTORIA
Bella, it’s not exactly like the guys are rushing to call. And besides, I’m nothing special anyway.

A bit of “stinger” piano music plays, as if Annabella is dumbstruck by what Victoria just said. Before she can say anything, the scene changes.

DISSOLVE TO -- Susannah’s house

Patrick is downstairs sitting and drinking from his orange juice, and he hears Susannah coming downstairs. She is fully dressed in the traditional “power suit” look.

Patrick eyes Susannah and nods his head in approval.

PATRICK
Hubba hubba. Susie Lucas, you know how to turn a head.

Susannah does a spin in place and fluffs out her hair.

SUSANNAH
Is this good enough for you?

PATRICK
Hey, you’re not out to impress me. It’s your boss that you’re out to impress.

SUSANNAH
Jack’s not that type.

PATRICK
You’re right. He’s definitely not your average CEO of a major company. Anyhow, you look… lawyerly.

SUSANNAH
A little admiration of how I wear it well?

PATRICK
Just kidding. You look great. Now sit and eat with me. You don’t have to be in until…

SUSANNAH
I told Jack I’d be in before 9:30, and it’s (checks watch) oh, 8:45. Not too bad.

PATRICK
Considering traffic in Somerset is always a killer. (Laughter) At least out on the interstate.

SUSANNAH
I’d like to make a good impression on Jack now that I know Dad didn’t put him up to this job.

PATRICK
And what if he had?

Susannah sips her coffee and sits down as Patrick pulls out her chair, and Susannah has a look on her face like she wouldn’t have been surprised.

SUSANNAH
Jack told me I earned this chance fair and square, so I’m happy.

PATRICK
Hey, you’re not alone, you know. When I applied to work here, there was an old guard who knew the names Stanley and Teri Kurtz. I had to tell them I have an uncle in prison, just to sully the Kurtz name a bit.

SUSANNAH
So Leo’s still in jail, huh?

PATRICK
He’s content to live out his days because of what he did here in Somerset. I mean, some people hate Jack Martin for what he did with Delaney Brands…

SUSANNAH
(Grins)
One in particular?

PATRICK
Yeah, right. Jack may have made a mistake or two, but Leo Kurtz running Delaney Brands was like putting Al Capone in charge of the US Treasury.

Patrick sips his coffee as Susannah laughs.

PATRICK
So I wanted a fresh start. I told them to give me a job low down on the food chain.

SUSANNAH
And what happened?

PATRICK
I did so well at it, they damn ended up promoting me a couple years later. Now I’m just a couple steps away from chief of staff.

SUSANNAH
I know what you mean. I worked with Dad in Oklahoma City for several years until I decided I wanted to strike out on my own. So I hung out my own shingle in that city as a corporate attorney at another law firm.

PATRICK
Did you get sick of it?

SUSANNAH
Well, I was in Kansas City for a while and then I left there. I got homesick. Wanted to go back and feel the wind come sweeping down the plain.

PATRICK
(Sips coffee and smiles) Is this where you break into oh, what a beautiful morning?

SUSANNAH
No, but if you hum a few bars…

PATRICK
I’ll pass. Still a little bleary-eyed. I’m going to go home and hit the sack, I think.

SUSANNAH
I don’t blame you there. Could use a little more sleep myself. Anyhow...

Susannah kisses Patrick's cheek.

SUSANNAH
Thanks for coming to keep me company.

PATRICK
You're going to knock them out, you knockout.

Patrick and Susannah smile as the music builds and the picture fades to black.

BILL WOLFF
We’ll return to Somerset in just a moment.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE FOUR

FADE IN -- Nick’s apartment


We see Nick’s darkened apartment as he and Alana enter. Alana guides Nick over to the couch so he can sit and relax.

ALANA
Are you sure you don’t want to lie down?

NICK
I probably will, but not in there. I may not sleep in that bed for a while.

Alana turns and sees the lamp and nightstand on the floor.

ALANA
Relax. I can go tidy up in there shortly. So… who is this mystery woman that had you so wrapped up in thought that you actually fell out of bed dreaming about her?

NICK
Oh, it’s no one. Not even a one-night stand. Never got a name, never got a number.

Alana kisses Nick on the cheek.

ALANA
Poor baby. Humor me, OK? We dated for nearly two years. Then we had a falling out over work. You went one way, and I went the other.

NICK
Which I regret to this day. I treated you badly toward the end and I’m sorry for it.

ALANA
Hey… you’re entitled to have a little fun once in a while. You just weren’t having any when you devoted all your life to work.

NICK
Tell me about it.

Nick reclines on the couch and then recalls the woman.

NICK
She had the most beautiful red hair… that smile…

ALANA
One look and you were hooked, right?

NICK
Close. (Starting to feel woozy) I think my meds are kicking in.

ALANA
Yes. The medicine you took at the hospital should help you sleep. Tell ya what. I’ve worked overnight and I could crash, so let me stay here with you for a while.

NICK
You don’t have to do that…

ALANA
I’m just going to recline… mind if I use that bed? I promise I’ll clean up for you.

NICK
Hey, you were familiar with it at one point. Be my guest. (Smiles)

ALANA
(Yawns) Thanks, old friend.

Nick and Alana wrap their arms around each other and gently kiss on the lips, a sign that their friendship will be solid.

Nick turns and goes to sleep as the music builds and Alana heads into the bedroom.

DISSOLVE TO -- Susannah’s house

Susannah is grabbing her briefcase and looking at her hair in the mirror. She bends down, adjusts her nylons and the hem on her skirt... in other words, wanting to make sure she looks perfect.

PATRICK
Susie, you look fine.

SUSANNAH
Just fine. You sure?

PATRICK
If I said drop-dead gorgeous, would you think I was lying?

SUSANNAH
Well… (Leans in and kisses Patrick on the cheek) Yes.

PATRICK
Ouch. That hurt. (Laughs) Go out there and knock them dead.

SUSANNAH
Thanks.

The two exit and walk down the sidewalk, with Patrick getting in his car and Susannah in hers.

Once the cars leave, we cut back to the house.

Low piano music plays as we see a shadowy figure with The Kansas City Star in hand and gloves on to prevent any prints from being left.

The figure, whose feet we can only see, sticks the paper underneath the welcome mat with one corner sticking out, and he walks away as an eerie music theme plays. We cannot see who it is as the picture immediately cuts to black.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Fade in on the closing credits for Somerset as the theme plays.

BILL WOLFF
This... was Somerset.

Women’s suits by Ann Taylor.
Men’s shirts by Nautica.

Join us each weekday at this time for the continuing story of Somerset. And stay tuned for romance, suspense and drama on Harpers Falls, which follows immediately over most of these same stations.

This program was pre-recorded.

No comments:

Post a Comment