Wednesday, January 15, 2014

EPISODE 22 -- THE SHOWDOWN

SOMERSET EPISODE 22
DRtv airdate: August 12, 2008
Written by: Steve Ungrey

SCENE ONE

FADE IN -- Cleybank Corporation


The first scene is a direct pickup from Monday’s episode, as Jack is confronting George at the Cleybank Corporation. Jack has gone there to have it out with George over the newspaper that was sent to Susannah.

GEORGE
Why, yes. I know who Susannah Lucas is. (Raises voice) She’s the one who nearly killed my son!

JACK
And your own son even admitted his culpability in it. He even said that he wasn’t really watching the road, that he was distracted. So you want to still take it out on Susannah.

GEORGE
You’re… you’re DAMN right I do! She shouldn’t get off scot-free for what she did!

JACK
Well, just what DID she do? George, she took a breathalyzer test and she was sober. She talked to the police at the scene, and they determined she wasn’t at fault.

GEORGE
Is it my fault Scott Garfield runs a lackluster department?

JACK
Oh, for cripes sake…

Jack turns around and walks toward the door. Then he whirls around.

JACK
You have an excuse for everything, don’t you? Well, there is no excuse for what you did last night.

GEORGE
And just what did I do?

Jack raises his voice, furious.

JACK
You went too far, that’s what you did!

Jack pauses.

JACK
You know, George, I remember when you wanted someone to knuckle under and drop out of a business deal once.

GEORGE
That’s happened a lot to me, Jack. You too, you know that.

JACK
And yet I’ve heard the horror stories. One person was an animal lover. They didn’t like the terms you were asking them to accept, so they backed out of the deal.

GEORGE
I don’t recall that one. I have business deals breaking apart and coming together every day.

JACK
True… but not every business deal ends with you putting a dead cat on that person’s doorstep. Luckily it wasn’t theirs. Your lackey found a cat who had been hit at the side of the road. That cat made its way to your potential client’s doorstep.

George draws closer to Jack, eyebrows furrowing.

GEORGE
And just what the hell are you implying?

JACK
Well, George… other families use horses’ heads. You could at least upgrade.

George lunges briefly at Jack.

GEORGE
Why, you son of a…

Jack jumps back and steadies George.

JACK
Ahh, struck a nerve, didn’t I? You DO take it personal.

George gets right in Jack’s face as the music rises in intensity. The picture fades to black.

We see an overhead shot of downtown, with the camera slowly pulling away from the buildings. The Somerset logo pops on the screen and goes into position at the center.

BILL WOLFF
This… is Somerset.

This portion of Somerset is presented today by Sure, the full-strength deodorant that leaves you feeling dry all day. We’re Sure!


COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE TWO

FADE IN -- Cleybank Corporation


Upon the return from commercial, the scene picks right back up. A few dark piano notes play on audio before the picture immediately cuts in.

JACK
George, when someone wrongs you, heaven help them. When Susannah swerves to avoid hitting your son, it was as bad as her actually hitting him. Therefore you want revenge.

GEORGE
Oh come on. I have heard enough.

George turns to walk away, but Jack isn’t having any of it.

JACK
(Raises voice) Not quite! I’m not finished with you yet, you son of a…

George turns around.

GEORGE
Oh, finish that thought, please. I’ve been called worse before.

JACK
And no doubt by your ex-wife. Or has your daughter Emily chimed in? I seem to recall there is a reason why she stays in New York and doesn’t come visit.

GEORGE
NOW who wants to make it personal?

JACK
Well, YOU certainly did.

GEORGE
Personal, huh? I’ll give you personal.

George comes up to Jack, lowers his voice and confronts Jack about his past transgressions.

GEORGE
Tell that to all the Delaney Brands employees you sold down the river when you sold the company to that international firm. You broke the spirit of Somerset.

JACK
And I don’t deny it was a bad business deal in the end. George, you may notice Robert Delaney even said I was in a no-win situation. I even apologized to the citizens of Somerset.

For dramatic effect, Jack pauses as the piano music simmers underneath the scene.

JACK
Then again, you don’t read the Register, you’re only concerned with what goes on in Kansas City. Old news, in fact.

GEORGE
And why the hell would I care about something that happened there?

JACK
If it rattles someone’s cage and makes them fidgety and nervous, you just love to see that.

George has clearly had enough.

GEORGE
That’s it. (Turns to go back to the desk) You’ve said your peace.

JACK
You look at me when you’re talking! Our feud is between us. I’ll be goddamned if you involve anyone from my company in it. Now I can’t prove this was your doing, but considering Zachary’s fresh off a motorcycle accident…

GEORGE
See yourself out.

Jack walks over by the desk as George looks out the window. Jack leans in so George can see his face.

JACK
Now, George… keep this up and maybe Zachary will be spending his free time finding the first flight out of Somerset.

He turns to go toward the door, speaking as he walks.

JACK
Then maybe that Moore mansion will be deserted once again. Maybe you and Fenwick can play shuffleboard on the back terrace.

Jack opens the door and turns to George.

JACK
Or maybe Fenwick will win a game of backgammon and you’ll push him off the terrace.

Jack smiles, walks out and quietly shuts the door.

By now George is visibly shaken. He goes back to his desk and sits in the swivel chair. He looks out at Somerset. He’s going to turn and sweep everything off his desk, but he thinks better.

GEORGE
No, I’ll spend the better part of the afternoon getting my notes back in order. I better not.

George pauses.

GEORGE
I’ll be damned if you win this round, Jack. Not a chance in hell.

Sinister music plays as the extended scene fades to black.

BILL WOLFF
We'll return to Somerset in just a moment.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

(We see “Point Palace” title card)

College was never this good. An old favorite is resurrected as Point Palace joins the daytime lineup. Point Palace, weekdays.

(We see “Somerset” title card with mid-show music)

BILL WOLFF
We'll return with the second half of Somerset following station identification.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

BILL WOLFF
The second half of Somerset is brought to you today by Oxydol, the detergent that bleaches as it washes. For sparkling whites!


SCENE THREE

FADE IN -- Somerset Hospital


The outside of the hospital is shown, and we dissolve inside to the nurses’ station.

At Somerset Hospital, Victoria is on duty when Taylor comes up and shuffles some charts into the doctors’ cubicles.

TAYLOR
That was fun last night. We have to do this more often.

VICTORIA
Yeah, but like Alana said… I’d be content with us going out on Fridays or something… I mean, don’t get me wrong! It was a lot of fun!

TAYLOR
I hear you. It was rough doing back-to-back nights at the bar and coming in here to do our shifts. Luckily we got a lot of sleep last night.

VICTORIA
Thanks for letting me crash at your place.

TAYLOR
No problem.

Taylor leans her arms on the desk and watches as Victoria is filling out a chart.

TAYLOR
Everything OK at the house?

Victoria turns and laughs, shrugging off Taylor’s inquisitive mind.

VICTORIA
Oh, come on. Everything’s fine. It’s just that I’m not the drinking and driving type.

TAYLOR
Since when are any of us?

VICTORIA
Well, it kind of hit home a few years ago that it wasn’t the smartest thing to do. Especially after Scott’s wife got killed in that car crash. So if I’m going to drink, I’m going to make sure I stay someplace where I can be sober later.

TAYLOR
Smart thinking. You sure there isn’t more to it?

VICTORIA
No! Why would there be?

TAYLOR
You just seem like you want to be a bit more independent, that’s all.

VICTORIA
Well, I HAVE been thinking about what it’d be like to live on my own, if that’s what you’re wondering.

TAYLOR
Nice. About time you cut the pasta strings. (Laughing)

The phone buzzes.

TAYLOR
I’ll get that… (picks up phone) Fourth floor, Nurse Kendrick?

As Taylor is answering the phone, Victoria sees Zachary coming out of his therapy session. He smiles and comes over.

Victoria has a clipboard and she’s clasping it tightly to her, trying not too hard to be nervous.

VICTORIA
Hey, stranger! I haven’t seen you in a long time.

ZACHARY
I know. What’s it been - hours? (Laughs) Thank you for keeping me company last night til my friends got there.

VICTORIA
No problem. You know, you broke a record last night.

ZACHARY
I’m afraid to ask. What did I do?

VICTORIA
Well, I’ve never had a guy buy me two drinks before.

ZACHARY
So my friends were a little late. I had to do a little something to kill the time. (Smiles) Besides, the company was more than fun.

Victoria points down at Zachary’s walking boot.

VICTORIA
How’s the ankle?

ZACHARY
I’ll be fine. I’ll be hobbling around for another several weeks, but everything’s going to be good.

Zachary and Victoria almost talk at the same time.

ZACHARY
Say, about last night…

VICTORIA
(Quick reply) Yeah?

The two laugh, and Zachary continues talking.

ZACHARY
I can’t believe I’m going to say this… but would you do me the honor of buying you another drink, this time just the two of us?

Victoria is surprised by Zachary’s proposal, and the music builds as the camera focuses on Victoria’s face.

DISSOLVE TO -- Giovanni’s

Rose is wiping down the bar as the morning progresses in Somerset and the doors have just opened for business. Nick comes in with a few folders in his hand and heads straight for Rose.

Rose leans in to kiss Nick on the cheek.

ROSE
Hey, Nick! Welcome! Cocktail?

NICK
I’d looooove one, Rose, but I’ll just take a pop instead.

ROSE
You got it. (Pauses) Are you on duty or something? I’ve seen you drink when you have clients in here.

NICK
I’m waiting for an appointment. (He flashes a bottle of pills) And I’m still taking medication.

ROSE
Yes, I heard. Tori told me you were in the hospital earlier this week?

NICK
Tori’s very perceptive. I was hospitalized overnight. Small concussion, nothing major. I did something stupid – I fell out of bed.

ROSE
Nick, that’s terrible! You must have packed quite a wallop.

NICK
No, I’m afraid the nightstand got the better of me. (Laughs) Come to think of it, the floor wasn’t too ginger with me either.

ROSE
Well, next time, do me a favor and strap yourself in.

NICK
I never thought I’d have to wear seatbelts to bed, but I’ll start thinking about it.

Nick sees Mike coming in the door.

NICK
Oops, my 10:30 is here.

ROSE
(Noticing Mike) Oh, Mike is your 10:30 appointment? Good! Are you guys going to eat?

NICK
Probably not this early, but if you want to make up a basket of pasta chips to munch on or something…

ROSE
That I can do. I’ll be right back.

Nick gets up from the bar and gingerly walks over to the table, where Mike has set his stuff down and spread it out. Mike sticks out his fist to bump fists with Nick.

MIKE
Hey there. You getting around all right?

NICK
Trying to, at least. Alana was a great help to me when we left the hospital.

MIKE
Yeah, she filled me in. Alana told me the nurses didn’t let her live it down. She’s not one to take a lot of good-natured ribbing from people, so I don’t know how bad it’s affecting her.

Nick waves his hand at Mike.

NICK
I hope you know there’s nothing between the two of us. We’re just trying to re-establish our friendship after all this time we’ve spent sulking, but I’m not standing in the way of your efforts.

MIKE
Oh, I know that. I’ve known that for a while. In fact, I’m a little more secure in my feelings after last night.

NICK
What happened while I was recuperating from (pointing at his head) THIS?

MIKE
Well… I got the pleasure of kissing Alana – albeit briefly – when I celebrated my job promotion yesterday.

NICK
Vickery finally gave you the investigative gig?

MIKE
Yup. I think he realized I was spinning my wheels at the metro desk.

NICK
Well, put ‘er there, pal! (High-fives Mike) Now we can dish the secrets of Somerset together.

The two laugh as the scene draws to a close and the picture fades to black with music playing in the background.

BILL WOLFF
We’ll return to Somerset in just a moment.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE FOUR

FADE IN -- Somerset Hospital


Back at the hospital, Victoria has said goodbye to Zachary and come back to the nurses’ desk. For some reason, she looks like she’s still in shock.

Taylor notices this as she walks up, and she quizzes Victoria about the situation.

TAYLOR
Hey. How’d your meeting with Zachary go?

VICTORIA
Okay, I guess.

TAYLOR
Just okay? Girlfriend, spill it.

VICTORIA
Well… he asked me out for another drink.

Taylor nods, as if she’s heard this story before.

TAYLOR
Oh. Well, I know how that turned out. I can imagine you giving the 100th version of your speech that you’re a career girl, how you can’t spare taking the time away to have some fun.

VICTORIA
(Smiles) Taylor…

TAYLOR
You’re chained to your nurses station here, you work long hours…

VICTORIA
Taylor…

TAYLOR
I can’t tell you how many times you’ve turned away eligible guys…

VICTORIA
Taylor, whoa! It didn’t work that way this time. (Smiles) I said yes.

Taylor gets a look of surprise on her face as Victoria can’t believe what she did.

DISSOLVE TO -- Cleybank Corporation

George is in his office as Zachary approaches the door. Zachary stops short of entering, as he can hear George on the phone.

GEORGE
Just wanted to tell you that you did a good job… TOO good, in fact. (Pauses) No, she suspected it was me and as a result I got a visit from Jack. (Pauses) Oh, he’s going to ratchet the stakes up a bit.

Zachary nods his head as if he’s heard his dad do stuff like this before.

GEORGE
Well, if he wants to get down and dirty, maybe I’ll start tinkering with the downtown properties a bit. Take Giovanni’s.

That gets Zachary’s attention, and he turns toward the door, eyes widened.

GEORGE
What I could do to that place would make The Godfather look tame.

The music plays as Zachary realizes he has an interest in Victoria… but it clashes with his dad’s business plans.

He leans against the wall and pretends to bash his head into it repeatedly, as the music plays and the picture fades to black.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Fade in on the closing credits for Somerset as the theme plays.

BILL WOLFF
This... was Somerset.

Men‘s shirts by Ralph Lauren.
Slacks by Haggar.

(We see “Harpers Falls” title card)

Stay tuned for Harpers Falls, which follows immediately over most of these same stations.

(The title card switches back to "Somerset")

Join us each weekday afternoon at this time for the continuing story of Somerset.

This program was recorded.

No comments:

Post a Comment