Monday, January 6, 2014

EPISODE 21 -- CONFRONTATION

The following is an episode of Somerset from the Soap TV website. Follow us on Twitter (@tweetsoaptv) or visit our website at http://w11.zetaboards.com/SoapTV/index

SOMERSET EPISODE 21
Original airdate: August 11, 2008
Written by: Steve Ungrey

SCENE ONE

FADE IN -- Riverboat Club


The fifth week of Somerset begins back at The Riverboat Club, where Victoria has just gotten a drink from Zachary.

VICTORIA
Excuse me, ladies. Now it’s my turn to leave the table for a bit.

Smiling at Zachary, she gets up and leaves the table. She walks in Zachary’s direction as Alana returns.

ALANA
You girls having fun watching the show unfold?

TAYLOR
Man, Alana, what was that all about? I swear you must have kissed him for more than two seconds. (Winks) That’s a record for you.

ALANA
The kiss… oh, I was congratulating Mike. He’s the Register’s new investigative reporter.

TAYLOR
Nice!

Taylor flashes thumbs up to Mike, who is shown looking in Taylor’s direction and flashing a thumb himself. She turns back to Alana.

TAYLOR
So you two weren’t making any romantic plans?

ALANA
Hardly. (She snickers) He’ll be busy at his new job. He won’t have time for people like myself.

TAYLOR
You might be surprised. Based on what I just saw there, I think there’s definitely a spark about to ignite.

Alana turns around and playfully sasses Taylor.

ALANA
You watch it, Missy. I can reduce you to bedpan duty, you know. (Laughs)

TAYLOR
Like you’d ever do that.

Alana sips from her beer glass and laughs again.

ALANA
Don't tempt me.

Alana and Taylor are laughing as the picture fades to black, all the while as the bar music is playing in the background.

We see an overhead shot of downtown, with the camera slowly pulling away from the buildings. The Somerset logo pops on the screen and goes into position at the center.

BILL WOLFF
This… is Somerset.

This portion of Somerset is presented today by Coast, the invigorating deodorant soap that’s the eye opener! Available in mountain scent and regular.


COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE TWO

FADE IN -- Riverboat Club


We cut to the bar area, where Zachary is sitting waiting for his friends as Victoria approaches him.

VICTORIA
Thanks for the drink… how did you know that’s what I liked?

ZACHARY
This would be your… second one?

Victoria has a sheepish look on her face as she grins.

VICTORIA
You’re very perceptive. (Looks down) You’re also very daring. Didn’t orthopedics say not to walk around so much on that foot?

ZACHARY
Trust me, I’m not moving. I don’t want to jeopardize my health any worse than I did following that accident. I have my first rehab session in a couple days and I’m going to be a good boy.

VICTORIA
Well, you’ve come to the right place. You following the nurses around for a little TLC or something?

ZACHARY
I wish. I’m here to meet a couple friends of mine. Care to keep me company while I wait?

Victoria thinks it over and looks at her table, as a couple nurses are smiling in her direction.

VICTORIA
What the heck. (Climbs onto a chair) Sure, count me in.

ZACHARY
Maybe I could get to know you better.

VICTORIA
One move at a time, Zachary. One move at a time. (Smiles)

Zachary is smiling as Victoria takes a sip of her drink. The music builds in intensity -- and then it turns a bit eerie.

DISSOLVE TO -- Susannah’s house

We see Susannah in her darkened bedroom. She is asleep but once again, it is obvious that she’s having some sort of nightmare. The tune “Bring Me to Life” by Evanescence is playing in the background, just as it was in her other nightmare.

In a cold sweat, Susannah stifles a scream upon awakening, quickly silencing herself once she sees where she is. She looks at the clock and, resigned to a night of interrupted sleep, lies back on the bed before shutting her eyes.

The eerie music continues as the picture fades to black.

BILL WOLFF
We'll return to Somerset in just a moment.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

(We see “A Beautiful Family” title card)

An exciting love story begins… but it is not what you think. Be sure to watch A Beautiful Family, weekdays.

(We see “Somerset” title card with mid-show music)

BILL WOLFF
The second half of Somerset is presented today by Camay, the soap that feels you washed your face in cold cream.

We'll return with more of Somerset following station identification.


COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE THREE

FADE IN -- Susannah’s house


In her bedroom the next morning, Susannah is finishing getting dressed. She managed to get a decent night’s rest, but the memory still lingers.

As she is adjusting her earrings, the phone rings.

SUSANNAH
It figures that I’d put these in… (removes earring to answer the phone) Hello?

We see a chair swivel around and Sam is shown. We also see Lahoma in the background.

SAM
Hey, Susie. Did you guys have fun last night?

SUSANNAH
Oh hey Dad… yeah, Joanne and a couple other women went to Giovanni’s for a couple drinks and then we went our separate ways for the night. I was back here by 10.

SAM
Yeah, that was probably a good idea with work the next day…

SUSANNAH
Hey, I’m sorry I didn’t call last night, but when I got in there was something waiting for me. I guess you could call it a welcome present.

SAM
What did Stan and Teri do, send you a basket of flowers or something?

SUSANNAH
Please. I wish it were that pleasant. There was a newspaper waiting for me.

SAM
Come on. The Register can’t have gotten that bad in the time we‘ve been away from Somerset.

SUSANNAH
Very funny, Dad. No… it was a Kansas City Star.

Sam’s face turns serious. Obviously he knows what is going on too.

SAM
What the hell… who knows about your time in Kansas City?

SUSANNAH
I can think of one person who might want to do a bit of research.

SAM
Hey, don’t let it get you down. You just keep doing your work and being a good employee at Martin. It’s just your second day, but break a leg, all right?

SUSANNAH
I don’t think that will be a problem. (Checks watch) I’m going to get to the office early and take care of some paperwork. But I will call you guys tonight.

SAM
Okay, don’t let me stop you. Have a good day, honey.

SUSANNAH
You too. I love you, Dad.

SAM
Mom loves you too. Take care.

As Sam puts down the phone, Lahoma notices something isn’t right with him.

LAHOMA
Is everything okay? Sam, honey, you all right?

SAM
Oh… yes, dear, I’m fine. However, I’m afraid Susie might not be if this keeps up.

LAHOMA
What’s going on?

SAM
I’ll tell you after I’m done here. (Picks up phone)

CUT TO -- Martin Enterprises

Joanne is just off the elevator, setting her purse down, when the phone rings. Rather than put her headphone on, she picks the phone up directly.

JOANNE
Good morning, Martin Enterprises, this is Joanne?

SAM
Hey Joanne, Sam Lucas.

JOANNE
Mr. Lucas! Good morning to you too. I don’t think Susannah’s in yet if you’re looking for her…

SAM
Actually… I talked with Susannah. I was looking for Jack.

JOANNE
Now that I can help you with. I KNOW he’s here, even though I just got here myself. Hold on a second.

CUT TO -- Jack’s office

Jack is looking at a couple documents when the phone buzzes. He picks up the line.

JACK
Yes, Joanne?... Oh, good, put him on. (Pause) What did Susannah do, complain to you about what a slave driver I am?

SAM
Well, I wish it were that simple. Susannah got a special delivery last night.

JACK
What type of delivery? (Pause… his face darkens) Son of a bitch.

SAM
My sentiments exactly. Jack, George Cleypool is the only one who could have known about Susannah.

JACK
Well, I’m glad I knew from before… and it wouldn’t have impacted my mind on Susannah.

SAM
Jack, I don’t want to appear like I’m fighting Susie’s battles, but this is too much.

JACK
I’m glad you called me. Sometimes you have to fight a little unfair. Thanks for letting me know. I’ll take care of this and Susannah won’t have to know a thing.

SAM
Thank you, Jack. Just so you know, I didn’t call to ask for a favor.

JACK
Consider it a little payback for all the time you spent mentoring me. (Pause) OK, Sam. Have a good day.

Jack puts down the phone, gathers his jacket and heads into the outer office.

JACK
By the way, Joanne, how was the night at the bar with the ladies?

JOANNE:
Not bad. We’re all shut-ins, you know. We have to be home by 8. (Laughs) Just kidding. We were out until about 9:30.

JACK
Well, all right! It’s good to see all of you unwinding. I’ve got a special errand I need to run, so if anyone wonders where I am…

JOANNE
I’ll just tell them you’re out.

JACK
Good. I promise I’ll be back shortly.

JOANNE
OK, I’ll hold down the fort while you’re gone. (Phone buzzes) Speaking of that…

Light music plays as Joanne says goodbye to Jack and turns back to her desk. She picks up a phone call as the picture fades to black.

BILL WOLFF
We’ll return to Somerset in just a moment.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE FOUR

FADE IN -- Petterino house


In the Petterino kitchen, Giovanni is enjoying a cup of coffee as Rose is sitting at the kitchen table looking at the previous day’s Register. It contains a story Mike wrote about the X Project.

ROSE
Interesting. Do you really think Jack’s project is going to take off?

GIOVANNI
I’ll stake my life on it. It’s his preferito progetto -- you know, his life’s work. He wants to make sure everything’s perfect on it.

ROSE
And you?

GIOVANNI
I’d love nothing more than to see parts of downtown revitalized. Do you realize how much more business Giovanni’s could get with a revitalized downtown? Bernard’s? The Riverboat Club? The Finial? All of Somerset could be impacted by this.

ROSE
Our restaurant is doing very well. For that we should be grateful.

GIOVANNI
Oh, I’m not saying I’m not grateful. We’ve endured downturns in our industry before.

Before Giovanni can finish that thought, Annabella comes downstairs from her bedroom. She turns the corner and heads toward the kitchen, smiling when she sees Giovanni and Rose.

ANNABELLA
Morning, Mom… Dad… (kisses both)

GIOVANNI
Bella figlia, good morning! How was your date last night?

Annabella gets a look on her face as if to say “unbelievable” and shoots it back at Giovanni.

ANNABELLA
Dad… what did I tell you before this?

GIOVANNI
(Smiles) Always knew I could get a rise out of you, sweetheart.

ROSE
Giovanni, honey, you know better than that… (turns to Annabella) Now let me ask you. How was last night, dear?

ANNABELLA
A lot of fun! Scott and I played some pool, and I haven’t lost my touch there.

GIOVANNI
I’ll believe that. You’ve hustled me out of a few dollars in my lifetime.

ANNABELLA
I actually thought my game would be a little rusty. I haven’t played in a few months. But we played a few games, had a couple drinks, had fun getting acquainted again…

ROSE
Scott really appreciates your friendship, you know. He leaned heavily on all of us when Julia died a few years ago.

ANNABELLA
I know. And it broke my heart to see him in such pain. Julia’s car crash shook us all up.

ROSE
Well, all you two have to do is just stay friends. Just because you’re female and he’s a guy doesn’t mean you have to hook up.

Annabella looks a little surprised at what Rose just said.

ANNABELLA
Mother! How do you know that expression?

ROSE
In my day, honey, they called it a one-night stand. (Breaks out in laughter)

ANNABELLA
I don’t think that’s what they called it, but I like the fact we’re talking about it and you’re not mad at me because we‘re just friends.

GIOVANNI
Not a chance, honey. We could never be mad at you.

Annabella looks around the kitchen as she grabs a glass of milk.

ANNABELLA
I thought Tori would be here… did she have to work this morning?

GIOVANNI
Yes, she did. But she did the smart thing… I think she took a change of clothes and everything and crashed at a friend’s house last night. Taylor?

ANNABELLA
Ah yes, Taylor Kendrick. I know who she is. She’s a great person.

ROSE
Perhaps we could fix Scott up with Taylor?

Annabella rolls her eyes.

ANNABELLA
Please, Mom. Not a chance. She‘s even younger than I am and Scott is too straight-laced for Taylor’s tastes. (Laughs) Come to think of it, so am I.

Rose and Giovanni laugh as Annabella shakes her head. Light music plays as the scene changes, but once we see where the scene is it turns more sinister.

CUT TO -- Cleybank Corporation

Jack is coming in through the door to George‘s office. Denise Butterfield, George’s secretary, is at the front desk.

DENISE
Hi, can I help you?

JACK
I’m here to see George.

DENISE
(Reaches for the phone) I’ll check and see if he’s…

Jack brushes right past her.

JACK
Never mind, I’ll check on him myself.

DENISE
Sir, you can’t go back…

Jack throws open the door to George’s office, momentarily startling George.

DENISE
I’m sorry, sir, he just barged right past me.

GEORGE
That’s all right, Denise. You may go.

DENISE
Thank you.

Denise scurries outside the door as Jack comes in, takes the door and slams it shut.

JACK
You insufferable bastard.

GEORGE
Well, I can see this isn’t a social call as always! (Comes out from behind desk) To what do I owe this pleasure visit?

JACK
Shall I tell you to cram the pleasantries or would you like to experience me doing it myself?

GEORGE
Like I said, obviously you’re not in a socializing mood.

JACK
Cut the crap, George. When are you going to learn you can’t get what you want by intimidating others?

GEORGE
What do you mean?

JACK
Does the name Susannah Lucas ring a bell?

George intently looks at Jack as dark music plays to lead into the commercial.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Fade in on the closing credits for Somerset as the theme plays.

BILL WOLFF
This... was Somerset.

Blouses by Regina Porter.

(We see “Harpers Falls” title card)

Stay tuned for Harpers Falls, which follows immediately over most of these same stations.

(We see "Somerset" title card)

Join us each weekday afternoon at this time for the continuing story of Somerset.

This program was recorded.

No comments:

Post a Comment