Friday, January 3, 2014

EPISODE 19 -- FACING THE SKEPTICS

The following is an episode of Somerset from the SoapTV website. Follow us on Twitter at @tweetsoaptv or visit us at http://w11.zetaboards.com/SoapTV/index/

SOMERSET EPISODE 019
Original airdate: August 7, 2008
Written by: Steve Ungrey

SCENE ONE

FADE IN -- Nick’s apartment


Morning has turned to afternoon in Somerset.

Alana spent the morning sleeping in Nick’s bed before waking up, making sure Nick was okay and then leaving. Nick has gotten some more sleep, but he is rousted awake by a knock on the door.

Nick gets up and slowly makes his way to the door, still a bit groggy but feeling better.

NICK
Coming, coming.

As he opens the door, he sees a slightly bemused Jack standing there with flowers and a floor pillow.

JACK
You really have to stop falling out of bed, you know.

Nick laughs at the sight of Jack with flowers.

NICK
Why, Jack. I didn’t know you cared.

JACK
I do, but not in the way you’d think.

NICK
Very funny. Come on in.

Nick turns around and goes toward the kitchen as Jack shuts the door.

NICK
I’d offer you something to drink, but I can’t have anything with this concussion.

JACK
Not even coffee?

NICK
Well, except that. There’s a pot on the counter.

JACK
Well then, don’t mind if I do.

Jack notices Nick coming out toward the kitchen and shoos him back toward the couch.

JACK
Get back on the couch, I’ll get your coffee. Now how the heck did you do this again?

NICK
I’m sure Alana filled you in.

JACK
Humor me, Nicholas. I was out of commission last night and I’ve been with Susannah, my new employee, most of the morning working on getting her settled at Martin Enterprises.

NICK
And hopefully she’s settled in fine, right?

JACK
That she is. I knew I needed to check on you after the message I got this morning. Now out with it. What the hell happened to you?

NICK
Something tells me you WON’T want to know this.

Jack shakes his head.

JACK
Doesn’t work this time. I want to know how Somerset’s future mayor took a header onto his bedroom floor. (Smiles) Now out with it, my boy.

NICK
Well, okay. If you insist…

As Nick begins telling the story, the music rises and the picture fades to black.

We see an overhead shot of downtown, with the camera slowly pulling away from the buildings. The Somerset logo pops on the screen and goes into position at the center.

BILL WOLFF
This… is Somerset.

The first part of Somerset is presented today by Lilt, the only home permanent with gripper sponges. The way to shiny, beautiful hair.


COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE TWO

FADE IN -- Bernard’s


Mike is in Bernard’s at the bar on a lunch break, and he’s chatting Bernard up at the bar on the possible story involving graffiti.

MIKE
(Sipping a beer)
Everything OK around here lately, man?

Bernard nods his head.

BERNARD
If you’re looking for a couple comments from me on the graffiti I haven’t seen any. They generally leave me alone.

MIKE
That’s good. It shows that they’re not messing around with the established properties. Giovanni said he hasn’t had any guff from the young people causing trouble.

BERNARD
You know this better than I would. Is there a gang problem down there?

MIKE
Naaa. There are gang issues here in Somerset, but the waterfront isn’t where they’re hanging out. It’s more of an inner-city issue, like most other cities our size. Or bigger.

BERNARD
Hell, sometimes smaller. Well, hopefully it doesn’t spread out from there.

MIKE
You’re going to be safe here. Restaurant Row is an institution in Somerset. You and Giovanni have been around for years.

BERNARD
Amazing that we’re good friends throughout all of this competition, huh?

MIKE
You serve different food. I can eat here for lunch and at Giovanni’s for dinner if I really wanted to do it.

BERNARD
Nice.

Bernard looks toward the back of the room, by the corner booth.

BERNARD
Say, isn’t that your boss back there?

Mike turns around and notices Norman Vickery there entertaining a client.

MIKE
Well, so it is. Wonder what’s going on?

Mike notices Norman is getting up from entertaining his client, and he notices Norman coming over to the bar area.

MIKE
(Laughing)
Spying on your employees at Bernard’s, Norman?

Norman laughs and notices Mike drinking a beer.

NORMAN
You’re lucky I look the other way on certain things.

MIKE
One beer, boss?

NORMAN
Relax. It’s all right. Not like you’re hanging out here on duty, anyway.

MIKE
I could if you’d like me to do it…

NORMAN
You’re lucky I’ve got a good sense of humor, Wagner. Actually, I’m here working a source for a possible A-1 story that I’ll hand off once I get more information… but I have been meaning to talk to you regarding another matter.

MIKE
(Sips beer)
Something wrong?

NORMAN
Oh no no, nothing wrong. Just something long overdue regarding you. I’ll meet you back at the office.

As Norman leaves the bar, Mike finishes his beer with a puzzled look on his face, wondering why Norman would want to see him.

MIKE
Well, he’s not firing me. What’s up?

Bernard shrugs his shoulders as Mike has a questioning look on his face. The picture fades to black.

BILL WOLFF
We’ll return to Somerset in just a moment.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

(We see “Oakdale Royalty” title card)

Next week, Oakdale Royalty makes its long-awaited return to the airwaves. Enjoy Oakdale Royalty, weekdays.

(We see “Somerset” title card with mid-show music)

BILL WOLFF
The next part of Somerset is presented today by Millstone, the premium coffee without the premium price. We'll return to Somerset following station identification.


COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE THREE

FADE IN -- Cleybank Corporation


At the Cleybank Corporation, George is in a conference call with some investors regarding his plans for Somerset’s downtown renovation. As he is talking, a few voices have questions.

GEORGE
You have the documents in front of you, all of you should be looking at the page marked “Five-Year Renovation”.

Voices on the other end talk about the plan one by one.

VOICE #1
I have to tell you, George… your plan for Somerset has plenty of changes in it.

VOICE #2
A lot of restaurants that are popular would be affected by this.

GEORGE
They will get the chance for buyouts of their buildings. But I’m only offering one deal. If they don’t take the deal, they’ll pay the consequences.

VOICE #1
George, restaurants like Bernard’s and Giovanni’s are institutions in Somerset. If you tore those properties down and replaced them with something nondescript, you’d risk alienating the population here.

GEORGE
I know the city’s exploding in population. The consequences would be harsh if they didn’t buy my offer.

VOICE #1
I’d hate to hear the consequences, but go ahead.

GEORGE
This vision of Somerset has to stand. The Peoples Building, the Woodruff, the old Somerset Inn, those restaurants…

Another voice chimes in to the conversation.

VOICE #3
You’d better have a good explanation for the Somerset Inn’s owner. That’s a historic landmark. They renovated the property several years ago and it has attracted a lot of attention.

VOICE #1
I’ve had clients stay in their rooms. The ownership did a nice job refurbishing the lobby and the rooms themselves.

GEORGE
I’ll deal with that later. Maybe our company takes over the hotel and quietly does what we want to do with it.

VOICE #2
Why the interest in The Peoples Building, George?

George rises from his chair and looks out the window at the Somerset skyline.

GEORGE
Why not? When I’m done with this town, it’s going to look a lot different. The area’s been stagnant for far too long.

VOICE #3
George, this area snapped back pretty well after the last recession. The economy is still humming along quite nicely.

GEORGE
But it is not humming nationally. People are hurting in parts of the country, even here in New York.

VOICE #1
The area isn’t feeling the pinch of the housing market. Most of the houses in Somerset are selling for relative bargains. Grant’s Preserve has several homes in the $125,000 range that are selling well.

George is starting to wonder if his team is solidly behind him.

GEORGE
Look, are you all nuts? I thought I had a team that was behind my vision of Somerset. Instead, I’m getting questions about whether or not you think I’m competent enough to pull this off.

VOICE #2
George, no one is saying that. We know you’ve got it in for Jack Martin. You want to see your vision for Somerset implemented before his.

GEORGE
You’re right. (Turns from window and smiles) I do.

As light music mixes with a foreboding piano medley, the picture switches to the next scene.

DISSOLVE TO -- Nick’s apartment

The scene changes to Jack sitting down and listening to Nick’s woeful tale of love lost in a dream.

JACK
This woman is really affecting you, isn’t she?

NICK
Listen, Jack. I know she’s gone. I know I have to get on with my life. I had a chance encounter in a bar with a beautiful woman. It happens more often than you’d think, right?

JACK
Not in my life it hasn’t. (Laughs and drinks coffee)

NICK
Oh come on, Jack. You can’t tell me someone as handsome and virile as you hasn’t had woman falling at your feet.

JACK
Virile?

(Jack swigs his coffee back like he’s quickly downing a shot of whiskey)

JACK
Now that called for a shot of caffeine.

NICK
You know what I meant.

JACK
Well, Nick… I have had my share of dates. You’ve seen some of the ladies I’ve squired around Somerset.

NICK
Of course I have. I think people would say you have fine taste in women.

JACK
Why thank you, Nicholas. I knew there was a reason why I kept you around and built you up to eventually be a good politician someday.

Nick covers his eyes and shakes his head.

NICK
I just wish I could have really met my mystery woman and that it wasn’t a dream. God, she had on the most gorgeous dress…

JACK
Somewhere, someday, your princess will come to Somerset.

NICK
Yes, but it won’t be her!

JACK
So what if it’s not her? Someone in this town will knock you off your feet. This just proved that you have what it takes yet. Don’t sell yourself short!

NICK
I know. And I know it may be sooner than I think, right?

JACK
Well, you told me Alana stayed here this morning.

NICK
Ah, yes. Alana. The great love of my life before all hell broke loose. (Drinks coffee) We did have two really good years together.

JACK
You’re friends right now, and that’s how it will stay. No more enemies for either of you.

NICK
You’re right. I don’t think I could take another long separation from her. If there was one thing good that came from this accident, it was getting to see Alana again and clearing the air with her on a lot of things.

JACK
So keep on your path you’re on right now. Have Alana in your life as a friend and search for your happiness.

Nick gets a strange look on his face.

NICK
Search for your happiness? That sounds sooooo much like a soap opera.

JACK
Well, I’d have told you to search for tomorrow, Nick, but that’s been done already. (Laughs)

The two share a laugh as Nick settles back in on the couch and the picture fades to black.

BILL WOLFF
We’ll return to Somerset in just a moment.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE FOUR

FADE IN -- Cleybank Corporation


George is in his office at Cleybank, having finished the conference call. He is now on the phone with Zachary, whom we do not see, discussing how things went.

GEORGE
Mixed results. Some of the investors are a little wary that my plan might be a bit too grandiose… hey, if you have any other smart ideas, let them know. I think I got through to them, but I’m going to need a little more help.

George faces the window as he continues talking to Zachary.

GEORGE
All right, Zach. Stay off your feet and… what do you mean you’re meeting friends tonight? (Turns back toward the camera) Dammit, son! Are you trying to get yourself killed?

He realizes he’s being too dramatic and pulls back.

GEORGE
I know the doctors said you could drive. At least you’re doing it with a car. All right, I’ll see you when I get home tonight. Will you be home for dinner?... Good, I’ll see you then.

As George hangs up, he looks outside at the view of Somerset and the sun shining overhead on the city.

GEORGE
Just a matter of time. That’s all.

The music builds as the scene changes.

DISSOLVE TO -- Somerset Register

The music plays lightly as we switch back to the Register office, where Norman is working on some story ideas when Mike knocks on the door.

MIKE
Hey, boss. How did the meeting go?

NORMAN
Not bad. Have a seat.

Mike sits down, feeling a bit fidgety because he has no idea what is going on.

NORMAN
You seem a little… nervous. Do you think you’re in trouble or something?

MIKE
Well, the thought did cross my mind. Am I being fired?

Norman looks a little stunned.

NORMAN
Now why would you think that? Didn’t I tell you it wasn’t bad news?

MIKE
I know I haven’t been the happiest person at the Register lately, and I wondered if you guys were getting sick of my attitude.

NORMAN
On the contrary. The fact you’re getting antsy and not being complacent tells me you’d be the perfect investigative reporter here at the Register.

Now this is not what Mike was ready to hear. His mouth drops, and he smiles slightly as he takes a deep breath.

MIKE
You don’t mean that.

NORMAN
I can take it back if you’d like…

MIKE
Okay! (Laughs as he holds up hand) You mean it! You mean I’m going to be the next Steve Slade?

NORMAN
I don’t think anyone could stop Steve. Or top him, for that matter. But the higher-ups are willing to give you a chance.

MIKE
I’ll take it! (Shakes Norman’s hand) Now what’s my first order of business?

NORMAN
What everyone else in this town is wondering. What the hell is Project X and how is Jack Martin behind it?

MIKE
(Music in the background) I already know a couple of Jack’s secrets… do you want something more full-fledged?

NORMAN
Jack has to know that people around here are starting to wonder. Get to the bottom of what is going on.

MIKE
I’ll get on it right away.

As happy music plays, Mike is happy about his job promotion, and he wants to celebrate. The picture fades to black.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

Fade in on the closing credits for Somerset as the theme plays.

BILL WOLFF
This... was Somerset.

Neckwear furnished by The Tie Bar.

(We see “Harpers Falls” title card)

Stay tuned for romance, suspense and drama on Harpers Falls, which follows immediately over most of these same stations.

(We see "Somerset" title card)

Join us each weekday afternoon at this time for the continuing story of Somerset.

This program was recorded.

No comments:

Post a Comment