Friday, December 20, 2013

EPISODE 14 -- LOVE AND REHAB

SOMERSET EPISODE 14
DRtv Airdate: July 31, 2008
Written by: Steve Ungrey

SCENE ONE

FADE IN -- Exterior shot of City Hall


It is the same day in Somerset as the afternoon wears on.

Nick is at his office, having gotten back in the day before and taken the rest of the day off to recharge his batteries.

We fade in on Nick as he is sitting at his desk, staring blankly ahead at the computer screen and trying to do some work.

Not surprisingly, his thoughts keep going back to Washington and to the bar. As he imagines her flowing red hair and smile, he rests his head on his hands and wonders how the heck he's going to get through the day.

Jack comes to the doorway. Nick doesn’t see Jack standing there, and Jack looks amused at Nick being lost in space while looking at his monitor.

JACK
They say a watched computer screen can make you go blind if you stare at it.

Nick is startled and nearly falls out of his chair.

NICK
Hey, Jack! Thanks for about scaring me half to death.

Jack shuts the door behind him, laughing all the while.

JACK
I could have said a watched computer screen could sometimes explode. Now how would THAT have been?

Nick laughs and drinks from his coffee cup.

NICK
At this stage of the game, I’d still be lost in thought.

JACK
I was just on the way back from Scott’s office and thought I'd drop in and see how the convention went.

Nick puts a hand on a big stack of papers sitting next to his desk.

NICK
All this reading material right here. Want to join in?

JACK
Oooo... (takes one step back from the desk) I’ve got my own reading to do, thanks. How did the convention go?

NICK
You really want to know, don’t you?

JACK
Oh, come on. The last I talked to you the convention was in full swing and you were going to a bar to unwind. What could possibly have happened?

Nick gives Jack a look with his face, shakes his head and covers his eyes.

JACK
You’re right. Maybe I DON’T want to know this.

NICK
Actually it was fine. Until the end.

Jack gets a quizzical look on his face as the picture fades to black.

The theme begins as we see an overhead shot of downtown as the camera is pulling away. The Somerset logo pops into position and goes toward the center of the screen.

BILL WOLFF
This… is Somerset.

This portion brought to you today by Crest Pro Health Rinse, the mouthwash that provides dentist-recommended benefits as well as whiter teeth and fresher breath.


COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE TWO

FADE IN -- Somerset Hospital


Zachary, who came into the hospital with Victoria noticing him at the end of the Wednesday episode, is in an exam room being checked out by Patrick and by Tyler Nelson, who specializes in orthopedics.

Tyler is looking over Zachary’s injured left ankle. It's obvious that Zachary is in some pain, but he's making do as the doctors continue their exam.

TYLER
It looks like you shattered part of the ankle in that fall. Before you wonder, though, I'd say that the motorcycle accident caused part of this damage. You said you suffered this injury in a pickup basketball game?

ZACHARY
The first injury, yes.

TYLER
You should have had that injury checked out fully instead of assuming the pain would go away. The fact your ankle was weaker as a result of that injury didn’t help matters.

ZACHARY
So in other words, if I'd have zigged instead of zagged I wouldn't have fallen off the bike and busted my ankle.

PATRICK
Well, Tyler thinks you you weakened the bone to the point where one fall of any sort would have caused a big problem. I'd say -- and I would have to concur with Tyler on this -- you're looking at several weeks of rehab.

Zachary grimaces at the thought.

ZACHARY
Damn. Dad's just going to be thrilled at this.

PATRICK
He'll be fine, Zachary. You're still here and that's what is important to him.

Patrick goes over to the phone and dials out to the nurses station.

PATRICK
Yes, Tori, Could I have you come in and bandage up Zachary? (Nods) Thanks. See you in a bit then.

TYLER
I think we’re all set, Patrick. Thanks for consulting on this with me.

PATRICK
Not a problem. Zachary, you’re checked out of the Skeleton Hotel, so have a good day and we'll see you in a week or so to check the ankle again.

ZACHARY
Thanks.

As the doctors leave, Zachary is frustrated by the thought his ankle will be in rehab for several weeks and he slams his hand on the table.

At that point Victoria walks in and is slightly surprised.

VICTORIA
Are you trying to injure something else?

Zachary shoots Victoria a look as if to say “very funny”.

ZACHARY
You’re just the person I’m looking for, actually.

Victoria’s eyes widen as the scene changes with accompanying music.

DISSOLVE TO -- Cleypool Mansion

George is on the phone with a client going over a business deal as Fenwick walks in. Fenwick waits while George completes the call.

GEORGE
I’ll have my attorneys get in touch with you on this. It sounds pretty promising and I think it fits in really well with our north-end development.

We see George pause and talk again.

GEORGE
Yes, that’s going very well. I still have a valid interest in downtown, but I’m biding my time while I wait. I’ve got a good healthy interest in this suburban project. Plenty of retail and homes.

George finishes up.

GEORGE
All right. I’ll be in touch, then. Thanks. (He puts down the phone) What’s going on, Fenwick?

FENWICK
Nothing, Master Cleypool. I had wondered if you’d heard anything more on Master Zachary.

GEORGE
Not really. He was sprung from the hospital but then he had to go back this morning for another checkup.

FENWICK
An emergency checkup?

GEORGE
No, thankfully. This was planned, and I sincerely hope they get the damn checkup right this time around. (Phone rings) I have to take this.

FENWICK
Right, sir. Keep me posted, please.

Fenwick walks out of the room and George picks up the phone.

GEORGE
Cleypool? (Pauses) Ah, good! So that will be here later today? Excellent.

George grins as he continues the conversation with the music building in the background. The picture fades to black.

BILL WOLFF
We'll return to Somerset in just a moment.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

(We see “Night and Day” title card)

A small town in Pennsylvania doesn’t have to have plain residents. Meet the odd residents of Night and Day, one of the new soap operas on the DRtv lineup. Coming soon weekdays.


(We see “Somerset” title card and hear a soft version of the theme)

BILL WOLFF
In just a moment, the second half of Somerset... presented by Ivory Snow, the mild, fresh detergent that helps keep baby clothes baby soft.

We'll return to Somerset following station identification.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE THREE

FADE IN -- Somerset Hospital


Out in the waiting area at Somerset Hospital, Patrick is looking at a couple charts when Susannah appears in the lobby.

SUSANNAH
Well, if it isn’t Somerset's most handsome doctor at work.

Patrick looks at Susannah, but then he has fun with her a bit.

PATRICK
Where? Where is he? (Turns to look at Susannah) Did you mean me?

SUSANNAH
You don't see Dr. McDreamy around here anywhere, do you?

PATRICK
Please, Susie. I preferred Dr. Ross.

Patrick laughs, hugs Susannah and exchanges a quick kiss with her.

PATRICK
Soooo... What brings you to the hospital... and don't tell me it's another checkup.

SUSANNAH
Nonsense. I’m feeling fine, and I have been since my unscheduled visit to this place.

PATRICK
Does that mean you came to see… ME?

SUSANNAH
Well, I WAS in the neighborhood… and I wondered if you had time to catch a quick bite to eat. Or have you eaten already?

PATRICK
I see. Checking out your new office digs at Martin, I take it?

SUSANNAH
I'm on my way over to do it as we speak. Joanne suggested I take a look around the property now so I’m not lost when I arrive for my first day at work.

PATRICK
Well, unfortunately I'm on duty... but let me finish rounds for a moment and then we can retire to my office.

SUSANNAH
Ooo, I’m impressed! You get an office and everything?

PATRICK
You bet. Wait here and I'll be right with you.

Susannah smiles as Patrick finishes up with his patients and the music plays lightly. The scene changes.

DISSOLVE TO -- City Hall

Jack is hearing the story of what Nick went through in Washington and he’s incredulous at what took place.

JACK
Wow. I’ve had a few flirty encounters at parties, but Nicholas… my boy, it sounds like this one took the cake.

NICK
Jack, it wasn’t cake. It was sinfully rich ice cream. A filling piece of pie… a luscious dessert treat. (Shakes his head)

JACK
Making yourself sick, Nick?

NICK
Sick? Are you kidding? I'm making myself hungry thinking about this. Rescue me, Jack.

JACK
And what do you suppose I should do? Become Rachael Ray for 30 minutes so I can make you dessert?

NICK
How about a little moral support, for crying out loud? A little strength here?

JACK
Well, I suppose I COULD do that…

NICK
God, Jack.

Nick thinks back to the woman's red hair and shapely black dress.

NICK
She was beautiful. That hair. That smile. That body. And she even called me out on that.

JACK
The fact you were staring at her body?

NICK
And she had a great sense of humor. A great mind for sarcasm. And… I didn’t even get her name.

That alone sends Jack over the edge. Jack can’t believe Nick forgot the basics, and he points to his heart and makes a stabbing sensation.

JACK
You wound me right here, Nicholas. Did I not teach you the right way to encounter a single, eligible female? When you are at a bar like that, you should always get the woman's name. She never asked you?

NICK
Hard to believe, but no. As it is, she did get whisked out of the bar pretty quickly by her friends.

JACK
Well, if anything, this proves one thing.

NICK
Now this I’m just dying to hear.

JACK
The next time you get names. Places. Faces. Features. Anything... and it also proves you've still got it.

NICK
(Staring ahead at the computer) Yeah. Whatever "it" is.

Jack pats Nick on the shoulder in consolation as Nick continues staring at the screen. The picture fades to black.

BILL WOLFF
We'll return to Somerset in just a moment.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE FOUR

CUT TO -- Patrick’s office


Susannah and Patrick have retired to his office with food from the cafeteria. As they set the food down, Susannah takes a seat.

SUSANNAH
I thought your offices would be a bit more glamorous than this.

PATRICK
Please. Only the chief of staff gets the cushy quarters. Maybe that’ll be me in five or 10 years. For now, I don’t know.

SUSANNAH
Something tells me you’ll get the job. If your family connections are any good…

PATRICK
That’s just it. Like you, I’m trying to get somewhere in life without the family connections getting in the way. I want to win this job down the line without the name Stanley Kurtz coming up.

SUSANNAH
I got a job without the name Sam Lucas coming into the conversation. I think you can do the same thing.

PATRICK
Let’s hope so. So when do you start your new gig with Jack?

SUSANNAH
I told him I'd come aboard on Tuesday. I'm still getting some things squared away at the house and realizing that Grant's Preserve is a nice place to live.

PATRICK
You definitely have a nice home, what I’ve seen of it anyway.

SUSANNAH
How about you? Where are you at now?

PATRICK
This is my home. (Laughter) All kidding aside, it feels like it. I'm actually in a condo myself here in downtown Somerset. Seventh floor of the Woodruff Building.

SUSANNAH
That's a rehabbed skyscraper, isn't it?

PATRICK
About 15 stories tall and built in the 1940s. Just restored a few years ago. You'll have to come over and see it.

SUSANNAH
That I will.

She’s having trouble stifling a yawn so she finally lets one out, “offending” Patrick.

PATRICK
What, now I’m boring?

SUSANNAH
Relax. You never could be boring.

PATRICK
Whoa, is your energy level down that far?

SUSANNAH
Naa, it’s just been a whirlwind few days and I just need to get more sleep, that’s all. But who’s got the time, right?

Patrick nods in approval as Susannah hides the fact that she had an awful nightmare the night before. The music swells to its climax, albeit a bit ominously knowing what we do about Susannah. The scene changes after a short interlude.

DISSOLVE TO -- Exam room

In the exam room at Somerset Hospital, Victoria is wrapping Zachary's injured ankle.

ZACHARY
Anyhow, I just wanted to apologize for the way my dad behaved toward all of you when I was last here.

VICTORIA
(Looks up)
He didn't harm me. I've been around demanding men all of my life.

ZACHARY
What, the doctors at this place? Don't tell me your father is that demanding.

VICTORIA
In a way, he is. But it's a good way. He wants the best from his children. So far, I'm the one that's stayed here and worked very hard, so I guess I get all the spoils from it.

ZACHARY
Is that what they call them? I'm not an only child, but I'm the only one that chose to stay in Somerset and deal with Dad's wrath.

Victoria looks up from her bandage work and smiles.

VICTORIA
You're strong enough. You can take it.

ZACHARY
Thanks... (eyes name tag) Victoria. Do you have a last name to go with the tag and the face?

VICTORIA
Petterino.

ZACHARY
(Making the connection) Are you... Giovanni's daughter?

VICTORIA
One of two… why do you ask? Do you know Annabella from your travels overseas or something?

ZACHARY
No reason. I love your dad's restaurant.

VICTORIA
YOU’VE been to Giovanni’s? I would think The Finial is more your speed.

ZACHARY
Five-star restaurants can be overrated.

VICTORIA
Thanks. It may not be the country club, but it's home.

ZACHARY
Please, Victoria. That's what I like about it. It's NOT the country club.

Zachary gets up off the table and limps his way out to the lobby area with Victoria, continuing their conversation.

VICTORIA
I'm surprised you'd say that.

ZACHARY
Well, there is an awful lot you don't know about me. (Checks watch) Gotta run. Thanks again.

As Zachary walks away, Victoria holds the clipboard tightly against her and smiles. Light music plays as the picture fades to black.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

The Somerset theme plays and credits roll.

BILL WOLFF
This... was Somerset.
Women‘s slacks by Lafayette of New York.
Men’s suits by Ex Officio.

Join us each weekday afternoon at this time for the continuing story of Somerset. And stay tuned for romance, suspense and drama... on Harpers Falls, which follows immediately over many of these same stations.

This program was pre-recorded.

No comments:

Post a Comment