Sunday, December 15, 2013

EPISODE 13 -- THE MORNING AFTER

SOMERSET EPISODE 13
Airdate: July 30, 2008
Written by: Steve Ungrey

SCENE ONE

FADE IN -- An athletic club in downtown Somerset


This episode of Somerset opens up at Ultra Body, which is a health club in downtown Somerset within striking distance of both Somerset Hospital and Martin Enterprises.

We dissolve to a locker room area where Alana and Joanne are coming in after a workout of roughly 45 minutes. Both are sweating a bit after exercise, and each of them has a bottle of water that they are drinking from before they hit the shower.

Joanne is the first to speak, once she regains her breath.

JOANNE
Wow. It’s been a long time since I’ve had that good a workout. Thanks for the suggestion last night.

ALANA
It was really good to see you. We hardly ever connect because we’re on insane schedules.

JOANNE
Yeah… I’m more of a 9 to 5 or a 10 to 6 girl and you’re…

Joanne drinks water and laughs a bit.

JOANNE
Coming and going at all hours of the night.

ALANA
Hey, it’s all right. I need the release like I had last night. I got to talk with you a bit and I got to put up with Wagner.

JOANNE
I think that man cares about you. Don’t tell me you’re stringing him along.

Alana vigorously shakes her head as if to say no way.

ALANA
Not a chance. Truth is, Joanne, I don’t know what exactly I want. I know it’s about time to hop back on the treadmill…

JOANNE
After having just come off of it?

It dawns on Joanne what Alana meant.

JOANNE
Ahh, I get it. You’re saying you think it’s high time to make yourself available again.

ALANA
Is that so bad?

JOANNE
I wouldn’t say it’s bad. (Drinks from water bottle) Then again, you’re talking to someone who dates what, maybe once or twice a year…

ALANA
Just you wait, Joanne. Your time is coming. Or is Jack working you that hard?

Joanne shakes her head as she grabs her equipment bag and gets some stuff out of it.

JOANNE
I can’t complain. I’ve been with Martin Enterprises for over 15 years, right out of college. It wasn’t until six years ago that I took over the role of Jack’s executive assistant. Jack has been with me through some good times.

ALANA
And?

JOANNE
And a lot of bad. (Drinks water) But enough about me. It’s not like I’ve been abusing drugs or drinking too hard or anything. Besides, I've had some steady company as of late.

ALANA
(Laughing)
You were putting the drinks away last night.

JOANNE
(Laughing herself)
I’ll have you know I had three whiskey sours and I was in the company of two really nice guys last night. Including your future husband.

Alana has had enough and playfully whacks Joanne with a towel as Joanne laughs.

ALANA
Go easy on me. I think all of Somerset knows by now what happened last night. (Pause) Why don’t you ask Scott out? He seems like he’s an eligible bachelor.

JOANNE
Ah, I'll keep Norman's company. Besides, Scott isn't ready yet. He’s gone through some rough times himself.

Light music plays in the background as the scene winds down.

ALANA
Look at us. We’re both wrecks when it comes to a social life.

Joanne laughs as she finishes the water bottle and heads for the shower.

JOANNE
We’re paid pretty well for what we do, though.

ALANA
You got that right.

The music builds as Alana follows Joanne, ready to shower up before she goes to the hospital for her shift. The picture fades to black.

The theme begins as we see an overhead shot of downtown as the camera is pulling away. The Somerset logo pops into position and goes toward the center of the screen.

BILL WOLFF
This… is Somerset.

This portion brought to you today by Folger’s Coffee, available in regular and decaffeinated. The best part of waking up is Folger’s in your cup!


COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE TWO

FADE IN -- Somerset Hospital


A bit later in the day, we dissolve to the fourth floor nurses desk as Victoria is on duty answering phones.

VICTORIA
Yes, Mr. Hennessey, your test results just came back. Dr. Kurtz is waiting to talk to you...

Victoria cradles the phone on her shoulder as she juggles a few files.

VICTORIA
No, I can't look at the results without you coming in. Dr. Kurtz will have to take care of that.

Victoria briefly pauses as Alana walks in.

VICTORIA
OK, we'll see you in a bit. Thanks.

As Victoria puts down the phone she smiles, obviously knowing what went on last night.

ALANA
Oh geez. I suppose word has gotten out all around the hospital?

Victoria shakes her head no.

VICTORIA
Alana, no one's really wondering what happened. I just know you went to meet Mike for a beer because Mom and Dad were talking this morning.

ALANA
(Buries her head in her hands and shakes her head)
Ohhh... I'll never live this down.

Then Alana raises her head and smiles.

ALANA
Other than that, things went all right. Come, I'll tell you all about it.

Victoria’s face instantly brightens.

VICTORIA
Oooo, the inner sanctum once again? I'm glad I'm about to take my break.

ALANA
It's not juicy, but it's news at least... no pun intended.

Victoria pretends to hold her stomach in pain.

VICTORIA
Oh, that was bad. Bad.

Playful music can be heard as Victoria follows Alana to the nurses lounge. The scene changes.

DISSOLVE TO -- Somerset Police station

We directly cut away from the scene to the police station, where Lt. Garfield is at his desk looking over some police reports when Jack appears at the door.

JACK
(Raps the door)
Knock knock, lieutenant. Is this a bad time or is it always a good time in Somerset these days?

Scott looks up and smiles.

SCOTT
Hey, Jack. This will give me a chance to put the paperwork down and talk a little business with the community. Have a seat.

Jack takes Scott’s lead and sits down by Scott’s desk, putting down his briefcase in the process.

JACK
Don't mind if I do. Saw you up at the bar with Mike last night but you really didn’t talk a lot about that when you came back to talk to us.

SCOTT
Well, you looked pretty busy yourself. How is Susannah fitting in?

JACK
I talked to her this morning. (Pauses) She didn’t get a good night’s sleep last night, or so she said. It was probably the unfamiliarity of being in a strange bedroom.

SCOTT
That will probably change. She’s been in the house for what, all of a few days?

JACK
Yeah. She said living alone in a strange place will take some getting used to, but she’ll manage.

SCOTT
Well, tell her welcome to Somerset. (Pauses) Actually, I think I was keeping Mike company until his date for the night showed up.

Jack’s eyes widen a bit.

JACK
Really? The good journalist is keeping company with a woman? Alert the media.

Jack laughs when he realizes what he said.

JACK
Wait, that didn't come out quite right.

Scott chuckles a bit as he and Jack share a laugh. The picture fades to black.

BILL WOLFF
We'll return to Somerset in just a moment.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

(We see “A Beautiful Family” title card)

Keep up with the Joneses on A Beautiful Family, part of the Daytime Royalty lineup. Weekdays on DRtv.

(We see “Somerset” title card and hear a soft version of the theme){/i}

BILL WOLFF
When we return, the second half of Somerset is presented by Gleem, the toothpaste for adults. Fights cavities and freshens adult bad breath.

We'll return to Somerset following station identification.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE THREE

FADE IN -- Somerset Hospital


Alana and Victoria are in the nurses' lounge as they sip an early afternoon coffee and Alana changes into suitable nurses' attire to begin her shift.

VICTORIA
I didn’t know you were going to go over to Giovanni's last night. It kind of surprised me.

ALANA
What, that I have a social life? I head out to the bar a couple times a week, you know that. I wasn’t going to look for Mike, if that’s what you’re wondering. As it is, I ran into Joanne and we were just at the health club having a noon workout.

VICTORIA
How’s she doing? Jack running her ragged?

ALANA
Well, it was good to talk to her. I’m on one floor of the apartment building and she’s on a higher floor, so our paths don’t cross that much.

VICTORIA
You have a workout partner, at least.

ALANA
Well, we used to work out a lot… then Joanne got busy with a few things Jack had her doing and all of the other stuff that happened. Now she says she wants to get that part of her life back. I can’t blame her one bit.

VICTORIA
And it got you out of the apartment. (Laughs)

ALANA
Well, considering I really didn't have that much to do... it was either that or read a few more chapters of Harry Potter...

VICTORIA
Deathly Hallows?

ALANA
Please. Not even finished with the second book yet. And DON'T tell me how it ends.

Alana sips from her coffee cup and sits down.

ALANA
Anyways, Mike is a nice guy. I just don't know if I'm ready to dip a toe into the dating pool once again.

VICTORIA
You can't let the actions of one relationship slow you down forever, Alana.

ALANA
Oh, I know that.

Alana pauses to sip her coffee again.

ALANA
Nick knew it too.

A bit of “stinging” piano music plays along with the light music. This is the first on-screen mention that Alana’s ex was Nick. As the music builds, The scene changes.

DISSOLVE TO -- Police station

We shift back to the police station as Jack and Scott are chatting about city matters.

JACK
I wanted to show you a photo of one building in particular that I’m interested in, and you tell me if there's anything fishy going on over there.

Scott recognizes the photo right away -- it is The Peoples Building.

SCOTT
The Peoples Building? Jack, that's one of Somerset's oldest buildings. It hasn't been used in years, you know that.

JACK
But it HAS avoided the wrecking ball. I'm afraid George will get his hands on it and tear it down. That's why I'm interested so much in the property. It's a catalyst for what I want to do.

SCOTT
Care to share, by any chance?

JACK
Due time, Scott. Due time. I'm still getting everything in order.

Scott puts his folders down and leans in, meaning to give Jack some advice.

SCOTT
Jack, need I remind you... you've got Wagner fishing around wanting to get clues, you've got Nick tied in knots over this and he just took over city management of Somerset not too long ago. You’d like everyone to know the crime rate is low in Somerset, wouldn’t you?

JACK
Scott, relax. Both Mike and Nick are aware of what's up. I haven't filled them in on the full story yet, but suffice to say they are very interested in hearing it.

SCOTT
Is there a history behind all of this?

JACK
Lieutenant… more than you'll ever know. (Smiles)

Scott takes it all in as the camera slowly focuses in on him and the picture fades to black.

BILL WOLFF
We'll return to Somerset in just a moment.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE FOUR

FADE IN -- Police station


Back at the police station, Scott and Jack are still going over city details, but the conversation is slowly turning in another direction.

JACK
Once I get everything in order, I intend to let the city know of my plans. Until then...

SCOTT
Aren't you afraid that Cleybank Corporation's acting behind the scenes?

Jack waves his hand at Scott.

JACK
I know, Scott. I’ve got resources. Well-placed friends. They're going to tell me if they spot anything fishy when it comes to his activities.

SCOTT
Well, then! I think you've got the bases covered, my friend. Keep me posted.

Jack rises up and grabs his briefcase.

JACK
I will. (He stops) Oh, by the way... I did overhear last night that your favorite model is returning to Somerset?

SCOTT
Not you too, Jack Martin. (Shakes his head)

JACK
Relax. I won't give you a hard time about it. You and Joanne looked like you were having decent conversation last night.

SCOTT
Joanne and I are friends, yes. And for the record, Annabella and I have been friends for a while now. You know that.

JACK
I know. I also know Giovanni will be very happy to have two of his kids under one roof. Has Giovanni gotten any indication yet when Annabella's coming home?

SCOTT
It’s going to be in the next couple weeks or so. She's finishing up an assignment modeling cosmetics over in Rome. Ah, the glamorous life.

JACK
Indeed. Must be nice.

The music builds as Scott and Jack shake hands and Jack turns to leave. Before he can leave, the scene changes.

DISSOLVE TO -- Somerset Hospital

Alana and Victoria are finishing up their conversation in the nurses lounge.

ALANA
Tori, Nick and I dated for two years... it didn't end well.

VICTORIA
Well, you guys are okay now.

ALANA
Yeah, now we are. But at the time, we were accusing each other of wanting to put our careers ahead of our personal lives. Nick was getting heavy into politics and I was getting into a lot of hours in nursing.

VICTORIA
Precisely. You guys let your careers get in the way.

ALANA
But only after I broke up with Nick. It wasn't easy, trust me. I think we both wanted to dip into our careers to keep us from going stir crazy.

VICTORIA
Relax. Nick adored you. He cared for you. He still does as a friend.

The two are leaving the nurses lounge and heading down the hall.

ALANA
We've been down this road before. Nick has told me it's going to take time for him to get involved again because he feels he screwed things up badly.

VICTORIA
And you?

ALANA
That’s why I'm kind of holding Wagner at arm's length. (Pauses and looks at Victoria) Not a word of this to Wagner. I DO like him, but I'm not ready to throw away a year or two only to find out things aren't going to work.

VICTORIA
Well, you should give it a try. You really should...

She sees Zachary in the waiting area.

VICTORIA
Give it a try, Alana.

Alana notices Victoria looking at Zachary and smiles to herself as if to say take your own advice. The picture fades to black and the credits roll.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

BILL WOLFF
This... was Somerset.

Men’s shirts by Perry Ellis.
Nurse wear provided by Nursemate.

Join us each weekday afternoon at this time for the continuing story of Somerset. And next over most of these same stations, be sure to watch romance, suspense and drama... on Harpers Falls.

The preceding program was recorded.

No comments:

Post a Comment