Sunday, July 21, 2013

EPISODE 8 -- CUTTING THE TIES

SOMERSET EPISODE 8
Written by: Steve Ungrey
Original airdate Wednesday July 23, 2008

SCENE ONE

FADE IN -- Susannah’s house

We see a morning scene outside establishing that this is Grant’s Preserve before we fade inside to see Sam and Lahoma bringing a couple of suitcases to the doorway. They are on their way back to Oklahoma City.

Susannah knows this moment is coming, but she’s totally unprepared for it.

SUSANNAH
(Fighting back tears)
God, I’m going to miss you guys. Before we were always in the same city, even if we weren’t under one roof.

LAHOMA
Well…

Lahoma sniffles herself and laughs a bit as she hugs Susannah.

LAHOMA
You’re the one who decided she just had to go back to Somerset!

SUSANNAH
Mother, you’re not making it any easier on me.

SAM
Susie, you sure you’re going to be okay here? I mean, the trauma surrounding the accident last night and everything…

SUSANNAH
It wasn’t that bad. And I can handle George Cleypool and whatever he chooses to throw at me. (Laughs) Provided it isn’t anything bad.

LAHOMA
Well, you just call if you need an ear to bend, would you?

SAM
Or e-mail. Your mom forgets there are other much quicker ways to stay in touch.

LAHOMA
(Playfully teases Sam)
You do forget I’ve used computers before, dear. And Sam, if I didn’t know any better I'd swear you were trying to cut the cord.

SAM
No, dear. Just acknowledging the fact Susie’s more than ready to stand on her own two feet. She’s been ready. It’s just that…

SUSANNAH
Mom, Dad. I can take care of myself. And besides, Jack's pledged to keep an eye on me. He’s going to let you guys know if anything major happens.

SAM
Speaking of which, have you decided on Jack's job offer?

Susannah shakes her head, but she’s a bit confused at the same time.

SUSANNAH
I haven't decided completely, but I'm leaning toward saying yes.

She checks her watch.

SUSANNAH
You guys better get going if you want to get back to Oklahoma City. Your flight's in how many hours?

LAHOMA
Later this afternoon out of Chicago. Sam will be back in court tomorrow.

SAM
Lahoma dear, they can even start that case without me. I've got good associate help.

SUSANNAH
All right. If you need some advice, Dad, you know where to turn.

She gets a bit misty-eyed again.

SUSANNAH
You guys...

Susannah hugs both of her parents.

SUSANNAH
I'm going to miss having you here.

LAHOMA
We're a phone call away.

SAM
(Winks as he picks up the suitcases)
Or an IM.

Sam disappears out the door.

LAHOMA
You and your technology.

We see an outside shot of Sam and Lahoma at the car, waving goodbye to Susannah. She waves goodbye back as the car pulls down the street.

Susannah puts a hand to her mouth and then to her eyes, wiping the tears away. Susannah shuts the door.

SUSANNAH
(Looking around)
Hello, life as a single gal.

She goes toward the phone to dial Martin Enterprises, but before she can pick up the phone there is a knock at the door.

SUSANNAH
(Runs back to door and opens it)
Did you guys forget something?

Patrick peeks out from behind the flowers.

PATRICK
No, but it looks like my housewarming gift is only going to be seen by one person instead of three.

Susannah smiles as the sees the flowers, with accompanying light music taking us to the break. The picture fades to black.

The theme begins as we see an overhead shot of downtown as the camera is pulling away. The Somerset logo pops into position and goes toward the center of the screen.

BILL WOLFF
This… is Somerset.

This portion brought to you today by the cosmetics of easy, breezy, beautiful Cover Girl.


COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE TWO

FADE IN -- Somerset Hospital

At Somerset Hospital, we see Victoria starting her shift for the day and she is at the front desk checking charts. She's speaking with another nurse, Taylor Kendrick, about her ice cream social with Alana the night before.

VICTORIA
It was the least I could do.

TAYLOR
Hey, you've got the right idea. If you can't get ahead in your job then (laughing) bribe the head nurse.

VICTORIA
It wasn't a bribe, honest! Alana's like family to the Petterinos and she's always said she's a bit lonely when she goes home at night.

TAYLOR
I know, I know. We've taken turns inviting Alana places. Men have bought her drinks. She appreciates the attention but I don't know if she's ready to move on yet.

VICTORIA
Well, I know one guy who would like to take her mind off of work. (Smiles) What's going on so far? Is it going to be a rough day at the Skeleton Hotel, as Patrick calls it?

TAYLOR
Well, that room over there…

Taylor points toward the corner.

TAYLOR
The patient in there is being discharged today if everything works out. Might want to give him a once-over.

VICTORIA
On my way.

Music plays as Victoria takes her equipment and a clipboard and heads toward the door. The scene changes.

DISSOLVE TO -- Martin Enterprises

Joanne, Jack's assistant, is sitting at her large front desk when the phone rings, jarring her from her work on the computer keyboard. She grabs her headphones and punches the front button.

JOANNE
Martin Enterprises, Joanne speaking?

CUT TO -- Sam’s car

SAM
Morning, Joanne. Sam Lucas. Is Jack around?

JOANNE
I wish I could say yes, but he had to go over to Johnson City this morning for a meeting on some property he owns. He’ll be back later today.

SAM
Oh, shoot. He told us his schedule can get a little crazy.

JOANNE
And I’m the one that’s here to clean it up a lot of times.

SAM
Tell ya what… do you have Jack’s cell phone?

JOANNE
He probably won’t answer it until his meeting is done, but I can give it to you.

SAM
(Memorizes number) OK, Joanne. Thanks, and tell Jack hello. Tell him not to work you too hard, either.

JOANNE
From your mouth to his ear. Have a good day.

SAM
You too, thanks.

Lahoma comes back to the car with two cups of coffee as Sam writes down Jack’s number. Sam starts the car and the two take off again.

LAHOMA
Did you get a hold of Jack yet?

SAM
No, Joanne said he was over in Johnson City. That man has come a long way from the junior executive I knew.

LAHOMA
You look so proud.

SAM
Well, I DID mentor him. It was one of the few things I did right when I was with Delaney Brands.

LAHOMA
Are you amazed at how far he’s gone?

SAM
And how far he has to go. I told Susie to keep me in touch about this mysterious project of his. I think it sounds very intriguing.

Sam notices Lahoma is still a bit misty-eyed in the other car seat.

SAM
Aw for pete’s sake… Lahoma, do you think we should move back to Somerset?

LAHOMA
No no, honey. I’m just used to having Susie be in the same city as we are.

SAM
You forget, for a few years she lived away from Oklahoma City.

LAHOMA
No, I didn’t forget. I just didn’t think it would turn out like it did.

SAM
Well, she came back to Oklahoma City for several years and now she’s expressed a desire to go back out on her own. I can’t blame her for that.

LAHOMA
Well… I guess we’ll have to let her go and watch her spread her wings, then.

SAM
We shall. Now let’s drink our coffee and rev our engines up to get back to Oklahoma. The busier we stay…

LAHOMA
The more we can let Susannah get off to her fresh start.

Sam and Lahoma smile as they drive along, with light music guiding us into the fade out. The picture fades to black.

We'll return to Somerset in just a moment.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

(We see “From These Roots” title card)

"From these roots grow branch, leaf, and flower, children of the sheltering earth, ripening into the tumult of the seasons--generation unto generation." One of daytime’s most cherished dramas is back. From These Roots, part of the Daytime Royalty lineup. Weekdays.

(We see “Somerset” title card and hear a soft version of the theme)

BILL WOLFF
And now, following station identification, we’ll return with the second half of Somerset.

This portion is presented by Camay, the soap that feels like you’re washing your face in cold cream. Available in scented and unscented.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE THREE

FADE IN -- Somerset Hospital

The action is a direct pickup from Scene 1, as Victoria opens the door and sees a patient sleeping. The patient is Zachary Cleypool, and he awakens upon seeing a nurse come into the room.

ZACHARY
Thank God, does this mean I'm getting out of here?

Victoria hooks up Zachary to a blood pressure cuff.

VICTORIA
One second and I’ll find out.

ZACHARY
Wait, wait. Why are you checking me out there? I feel fine.

VICTORIA
Standard operating procedure… (scans chart) Mr. Cleypool. You may feel fine, but I'm the authority where that's concerned.

ZACHARY
Since when? (Catches what he said) Never mind. I trust you. Fire away.

VICTORIA
Now just be still. (Takes off the cuff) Normal there, that’s good. Have you had any discomfort or pain since the accident last night? What happened anyway?

ZACHARY
Oh, it was nothing. I was riding my motorcycle into Somerset to meet some friends and I had to swerve because I was in the way of a car.

VICTORIA
No pain in your extremities?

ZACHARY
Just a couple bumps and scrapes. Wanna check those out?

VICTORIA
Love to, but that’s not my job. I have to have an attending do that. Let me hand off this chart to the attending and you'll probably get sprung here in the next hour.

ZACHARY
Good. No offense, but I'll take my home over Somerset Hospital any day now.

VICTORIA
I understand completely. Think of how I feel having to be here every day...

ZACHARY
Yes. But you're getting paid for it.

Victoria smiles as she grabs the clipboard.

VICTORIA
So true. So true…

Zachary is sitting up in bed and looking a little impatient about when he wants to leave as the scene changes with accompanying music.

DISSOLVE TO -- Susannah’s home

Susannah is setting the flowers Patrick brought on the dining room table, making the perfect centerpiece for whenever she decides to have her first meal at home.

SUSANNAH
I'll have to tell Mom and Dad you stopped by. You just missed them.

Susannah looks up, smiles to herself and then turns to look at Patrick.

SUSANNAH
Or did you plan it that way?

PATRICK
Hey now, Susie. No ideas there. I intended to come over to bid your parents farewell and wish them a good trip back to Oklahoma, but I must have been a bit late.

SUSANNAH
No problem. (Goes toward the refrigerator) Want something to drink?

PATRICK
Got any cold pop?

SUSANNAH
I think so. I did some shopping for the basics yesterday before we met Jack for dinner.

Susannah checks the refrigerator.

SUSANNAH
And pop was one of them. Catch.

Susannah fires a can over in Patrick’s direction, surprising him. He drops the can because he wasn’t expecting it this quickly.

PATRICK
I guess I'll have to wait until the fizz disappears inside. I didn't know you had a rocket arm like that.

SUSANNAH
I wasn't all books and nerdy-looking sunglasses in school. Which you wouldn't have known because you went to school in Arizona.

PATRICK
Now what does that have to do with your law career? You forget I saw you when you were a teenager...

SUSANNAH
Ace pitcher, Bailey Grove High School Red Devils of Oklahoma City. We won the state title in my junior year, remember?

PATRICK
Ah, yes. You talked about playing softball the few times we got together as families.

SUSANNAH
And the couple times we went out by ourselves, I might add.

PATRICK
I might have to recruit you for the hospital's ball team.

SUSANNAH
And what makes you think I'd play?

PATRICK
It’s called networking. I’m sure you’ve heard of it.

SUSANNAH
You sound like Jack Martin. He uses that word a lot.

PATRICK
Yes. Now that you’ve met the great, the powerful, Wizard of Somerset, you’ll be speaking all that is good and grand about Jack Martin.

SUSANNAH
Not only met him, he offered me a job at Martin Enterprises in legal. He knew my corporate law background. Come to think of it, I don't know what the job will entail...

PATRICK
Well darn it. The hospital could have used an attorney like you.

SUSANNAH
Well, we'll be traveling in the same circles now, won't we?

PATRICK
I guess. Wait until I tell Mom and Dad who returned to Somerset.

SUSANNAH
You might be too late. Stanley was going to get in touch with Sam on a personal call and I'm sure that will be the first words out of Sam's mouth.

PATRICK
Well, then look out, Somerset. Susannah Lucas is here!

Susannah laughs as she takes a drink of pop and the picture fades to black over light music.

[i]We'll return to Somerset in just a moment. [/i]

COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE FOUR

FADE IN -- Somerset Hospital

At Somerset Hospital, Mike has stopped by to check in on Zachary's condition for a small story in the paper. He is at the desk talking to Victoria.

MIKE
(Writing on notepad)
So there are no complications?

VICTORIA
Well, I really can’t say anything specific like that due to privacy issues, but you didn't hear from me that he's doing okay. He'll be leaving later this morning.

MIKE
Good. Another crisis averted for the Cleybank Corporation.

VICTORIA
You'll have this in tomorrow, Mike?

MIKE
Yes. Now obviously, if something changes, I'll check in with the hospital.

Mike digs in his pocket after he shuts off his recorder.

MIKE
While I'm at it, though, I might as well combine business with personal. (Produces note) Can you give this to a certain female?

VICTORIA
(Holds note to body)
Ooooo, I feel like I'm back in junior high school passing notes around the class. I'll make sure she gets this in her cubicle.

MIKE
Thank you, my dear. I'll be at the office and I might check in later in the day.

Victoria smiles as she turns to the cubicles.

VICTORIA
Okay, Mike. Have a good day.

MIKE
You too.

Mike hops on the elevator as the doors close.

VICTORIA
(Looks at note)
You don't know how lucky you are.

She puts the note in a cubicle. As she removes her hand, the camera catches the mailbox area and we see the note is meant for Alana. Soft, somewhat romantic music plays as we dissolve scenes.

DISSOLVE TO -- Zachary’s room

Zachary has gotten up and used the bathroom without any problem, but on the way back he bangs his left foot and ankle on the bedside.

Zachary grimaces at first, having banged himself pretty hard. He goes back toward the bed but we see his face contort in pain. He stumbles, falling down by the bed.

Zachary tries to get up, but he feels like a hot poker is pressing against his left foot and ankle. He notices it swelling.

ZACHARY
God... (Grimaces) Now you've done it, Zachary Cleypool.

It is obvious Zachary has broken something or at the very least suffered a bigger injury than he already had. A dramatic piano background accompanies Zachary as he tries to stand and fails. The picture fades to black.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

We see the credits of Somerset rolling.

BILL WOLFF
This... was Somerset.

Nurses wear furnished by Nurse Mate. Blouses by Regina Porter.

Stay tuned for Harpers Falls, which follows immediately over most of these same stations.

And join us each weekday afternoon at this time for the continuing story of Somerset.

This program was pre-recorded.

No comments:

Post a Comment