Wednesday, July 10, 2013

EPISODE 6 -- A REUNION

SOMERSET EPISODE 6
Airdate: July 21, 2008
Written by: Steve Ungrey

SCENE ONE

FADE IN -- Susannah’s car

The first scene of the day is a direct pickup of Friday's final moments, with Susannah having just swerved the car.

SAM
Susie, were you a bit shocked by his job offer?

SUSANNAH
Not so much shocked as I was flattered, Dad. Jack’s right. I need to…

Susannah’s thought is interrupted as we see a brief flash of headlights.

SAM
Susie, look out!

Susannah swerves the car just in time to avoid a head-on crash. She pulls over and stops the car.

Lahoma recovers in her seat, a little worse for the wear but otherwise all right.

LAHOMA
How much wine did you have with dinner, dear?

SUSANNAH
Mom? You’re not implying I’m drunk, are you?

SAM
Ladies, ladies! Wait a minute. Susie, you’re OK?

SUSANNAH
I certainly didn’t have enough liquor to impair my driving. I'll get out and see what happened, if anything.

Susannah gets out of the car. She looks around and then she looks back several yards. What she sees horrifies her.

SUSANNAH
My God…

There is a body lying in the street face down, next to a motorcycle that is still running and intact.

She turns the body over... and we see it is Zachary. Susannah momentarily freaks before regaining some composure.

SUSANNAH
Oh my God… what have I done?

Sam bends down by Susannah as he checks out Zachary.

SAM
Susie, is he okay?

SUSANNAH
(Checking for pulse once again) Yes, as far as I know. He’s unconscious, but he’s stirring around a bit.

Zachary regains consciousness and starts to move his head and look around.

ZACHARY
Wha… whaaa… what happened? Where am I?

SAM
Don’t move. You don’t know if you're hurt or not.

ZACHARY
Relax. I feel all right. I’m just sorry I almost crossed your path.

We see blue and red lights illuminating their faces.

ZACHARY
Oh, boy, it looks like we’ve got company.

Ominous music plays as Susannah looks up and back at Zachary, who is conscious but still a bit dazed. The picture fades to black.

We see an overhead shot of downtown as the camera is pulling away. The Somerset logo pops into position and goes toward the center of the screen as the familiar theme plays.

BILL WOLFF
This… is Somerset.

This portion brought to you today by Crest. The only toothpaste with the seal of the American Dental Association. You can’t beat Crest for fighting cavities.


COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE TWO

FADE IN -- Jack’s condominium

For the first time, we see a more sweeping view of Jack’s condominium, which is located on the 24th floor of the Mutual Building and offers a grand, sweeping panorama of downtown Somerset from his patio.

His view of the town is spectacular, much like the vision he has for the community. He's looking down at the same building we saw on Friday and remembering the same piece of Glenn Miller music. His “Moonlight Serenade” is accompanied by a sip of scotch, but he’s momentarily startled by a knock on the door.

Jack leaves the patio and crosses the living room as the door knocks again.

JACK
Coming. (Hears another knock) Oh, hold your horses, whoever you are.

Jack opens the door to see Nick standing there.

NICK
Evening, Jack. Too late for a nightcap?

JACK
Well, Nicholas! Come on in. No, it’s not too late at all, I was just having one myself. I was just out entertaining my newest -- well, hopefully newest -- associate.

NICK
Someone finally answered your want ad after all these months, huh?

JACK
After doing everything but begging, pleading, cajoling and handing over half my company to this person... no, no, on a more serious note, I hope that she will come aboard. I need some help in the legal relations department.

NICK
Ah, hiring an attorney, it sounds like?

JACK
Yes. And someone to help with my company acquisitions.

He fixes Nick a Manhattan, which is Nick’s drink of choice, and hands it off to Nick.

JACK
Her name is Susannah Lucas. If she sticks around and comes aboard, there’s a good chance you’ll eventually meet her. And hey, she might even be worthy of your time and maybe your arm to walk her around Somerset.

NICK
What did I tell you about playing matchmaker, Jack Martin?

JACK
Just that you have to climb back on the horse eventually, even if the last bucking bronco left you with a shattered hip and broken bones and stuff. By the way, what brings you around these parts for a nightcap?

NICK
I was just headed home myself. Thought I'd stop by to see if you were around.

JACK
Well, good! Join me on the patio, my friend.

The two walk towards the patio with glasses in hand.

JACK
It’s actually a nice night out for the middle of summer.

NICK
I can’t complain. Central Illinois is always nice this time of year.

JACK
Are you looking forward to Thursday?

Nick’s mood instantly deteriorates at thinking of the trip he is taking.

NICK
The convention. (Raises one finger and circles it around) Yippee. Whoo-hoo.

Jack feigns mock indignation.

JACK
Nicholas Barclay, this is how you're going to make yourself known outside of Somerset. You've got a bright future ahead of you. It's called mingling. Mixing. Networking.

NICK
For that U.S. Senate job that may never come open?

JACK
You don’t know unless you try.

NICK
Well, Mike Wagner has said to me that his sources think I’d make a good political candidate. I could see myself making like Robert Redford.

Nick changes the subject.

NICK
Speaking of... I hear you talked to Mike earlier today about Project X?

JACK
That’s not what it’s called.

NICK
All right, then stop me if I’m warm. The Manhattan Project? Operation Bulldozer? Wrecking Ball Blues?

JACK
(Laughs)
Now you’re being sarcastic.

NICK
Well, what do you want me to do? Swallow a cyanide capsule and don't tell a soul what I know?

JACK
That would be very bad for your career prospects, my friend.

NICK
It beats being in limbo.

JACK
Now come on. Will you just relax? I'll let you know in due time. Mike doesn't know anything yet either.

NICK
Well, let me make another mean Manhattan and I'll hear you out.

As Jack and Nick head back to the wet bar, light music plays and we change scenes.

DISSOLVE TO -- Somerset Hospital

Susannah is on an exam table lying down, waiting to be seen by a doctor in the emergency room. She’s growing a little impatient that no one is around.

SUSANNAH
What the heck do you have to do to see a doctor around here? If this is how HMO's are going to be...

LAHOMA
Relax, would you? Nothing's going to happen. But honey, I have to ask something. Why were you so quick to have the officer administer a Breathalyzer on you?

SAM
It's called being smart, Lahoma. She blew a .04. She’s had a few drinks, but that’s not even close to intoxicated levels. She had three glasses of wine. By offering to take the breath test now it completely cancels the case the motorcyclist might have against Susie.

LAHOMA
(Turns with surprise)
Since when do you monitor your daughter's drinking habits?

SAM
Lahoma, we all had three glasses! Jack brought a second bottle of wine out for us, but we all had so much food that it muted the effects of the alcohol somewhat.

A doctor enters the room to check Susannah, but his face is buried behind a clipboard.

DOCTOR
And is this the patient I’m supposed to examine?

SUSANNAH
Look around, Doc. Do you see anyone else in here?

DOCTOR
Well, well. I see we have a patient here who…

The doctor uncovers his face and Susannah, Lahoma and Sam’s faces all smile at seeing him.

DOCTOR
Is all grown up.

Sam shakes his head.

SAM
Well, I’ll be damned. How many doctors are there in Somerset Hospital and she draws you?

DOCTOR
Not just any doctor. (He smiles and shows off his name tag) Patrick Kurtz at your service.

Susannah smiles at Patrick as light music plays and the picture fades to black.

We'll return to Somerset in just a moment.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

(We see “My So Called Life” title card)

Kyle experiences a memorable session with Dr. Grandon on the latest episode of My So Called Life; Return to Three Rivers. Part of the Daytime Royalty lineup, airing weekdays.

(We see “Somerset” title card and hear a soft version of the theme)


BILL WOLFF
And now, following station identification, we’ll return with the second half of Somerset. This portion of today’s program is brought to you by Pert, the shampoo plus conditioner that gives you bouncing and behaving hair.


COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE THREE

FADE IN -- Jack’s condominium

Jack and Nick are on Jack's couch watching a baseball game on TV and enjoying cocktails.

NICK
I wish the Yankees would do a little better this year.

JACK
Hey, they’re trying. The team that could be one to watch is Boston. Would you root for them in a World Series once again?

NICK
(With a bad accent) I could sip a little chowdah in Havahd Yard. Then again, where I'm at I better root for the Cubs or White Sox.

Jack nearly spits out his drink laughing.

JACK
A Boston-ite you are not. Leave the accent to the Kennedys. Hey, maybe you could see Washington’s team when you’re there later this week.

NICK
Wish I could, but they’re playing the Marlins in Florida. Maybe I’ll head someplace and watch it if I need to clear my head.

JACK
Do that. All work and no play makes Nick a dull politician.

NICK
(Sips drink)
I think I’m already there.

JACK
Well, don’t worry about it. Single or not, you’ll be busy real soon. I'm about ready to unveil some details of my project. I don't want too many people aware of what's going on, though. Don't want the enemy camps to get any ideas.

NICK
I know. Can't let Cleybank Corporation get the upper hand, right?

JACK
Not just George. There are a few others in Somerset who would like nothing more than to capture my ideas and make them my own.

He takes a drink from his glass and changes his demeanor, eyes steeled with determination.

JACK
And I, for one, won't stand for it.

NICK
Well, neither will I.

Jack’s phone rings once again.

JACK
Hold that thought. (Picks up phone) Hello?

Jack’s mouth drops open. Nick turns around and instantly suspects something is wrong.

JACK
Holy… are you guys okay? (Pauses) No, I’ll be right down, the hospital’s not far from me. Thanks for letting me know.

Jack puts down the phone and runs to grab his jacket.

NICK
(Rises from couch)
Hold that thought until later?

JACK
Yes. My dinner guests from this evening were involved in a minor accident on the way back. I want to go down and make sure they're all right.

NICK
Go. Get outta here. I'll head home and get a good night's sleep. We'll talk later.

JACK
Nicholas, pleasure as always. Thanks for understanding.

The two leave Jack’s condominium and head for the elevator as music plays underneath the scene.

DISSOLVE TO -- Somerset Hospital

Sam, Lahoma and Susannah are startled to see it is Patrick Kurtz who has come to examine Susannah. Patrick, the son of Stanley and Teri Kurtz, has been a doctor at Somerset Hospital for the last decade ever since he came back to town, just like Susannah did.

Patrick gets hugs from Lahoma and Sam and a hug and kiss from Susannah before he settles down to business.

PATRICK
So I’m in my office and imagine the shock I get when Taylor tells me who was just brought in here.

SUSANNAH
I’m fine. I swear everything’s all right.

PATRICK
Relax. Your prelim tests check out just fine. You didn’t hit anything. It’s Zachary that’s in rougher shape.

LAHOMA
Patrick, how bad is he?

PATRICK
(Smiles)
Oh, relax. It’s not too bad. He took a pretty bad spill on the pavement when he swerved to avoid you guys, but he’s going to pull through just fine.

SUSANNAH
What a relief that is. I couldn’t imagine how I’d feel if something worse happened.

Patrick gets a sheepish look on his face.

PATRICK
This is the part of the job where I have to tell Mommy and Daddy to leave the room for a bit. I want to look at Susannah.

LAHOMA
How much of a look do you want?

SUSANNAH
(Her head rises from the table)
Mother!

SAM
(Laughs)
Methinks the wine has gotten to Lahoma. We’ll be outside.

PATRICK
It’s nothing major. In fact, Susie, you can sit up.

SUSANNAH
Finally! Thank you.

Sam and Lahoma leave the room while Susannah sits up on the gurney, with light music taking us into the break. The picture fades to black.

We’ll return to Somerset in just a moment.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE FOUR

FADE IN -- Somerset Hospital

We pick up with Susannah and Patrick alone in the ER.

SUSANNAH
Obviously I’d hoped to surprise you under better circumstances than this.

PATRICK
Hey, just be lucky you ended up with my bedside manner. Now then...

Patrick produces a stethoscope.

SUSANNAH
(Smiling)
Are you always this forthright with your patients?

PATRICK
Hardly. In fact, I won’t ask you to strip. Just the top button will do.

SUSANNAH
Well, all right. If you insist.

Susannah undoes the top button on her dress, enabling Patrick to briefly get a listen to Susannah’s heart at the same time he’s taking her blood pressure.

PATRICK
You happy to see me?

SUSANNAH
Why would you say that?

PATRICK
Because it‘s beating a little fast. Did you know that?

SUSANNAH
Relax, Dr. McDreamy. It’s not you. It’s a combination of several glasses of wine, almost being in a car crash, wondering how he was doing…

Susannah’s face relaxes and then she smiles.

SUSANNAH
But yes, part of me is glad to see you.

PATRICK
Well, good. Everything else is checking out fine. You're alive... You're good to go.

SUSANNAH
(Buttons her dress once again) I am?

PATRICK
Yes. Did you want to stay here? You're not dizzy... no headache... pulse is normal... I'd say everything' s good. But if you feel anything out of the ordinary, don’t hesitate to come back here.

SUSANNAH
All right. Now when do I see you out of the white coat?

PATRICK
(His face snaps up from the clipboard)
I beg your pardon?

SUSANNAH
Hey, you asked me to undo one button. I think I should have the coat.

PATRICK
Can you spare me my shirt underneath? If you guys can stick around a bit I have a break for food coming and I'd love to see why you guys are in Somerset.

SUSANNAH
I think I can spare your shirt, although as I recall from our teen years you look pretty good without one…

Patrick’s face is getting a little flushed.

SUSANNAH
Now who’s hot and bothered? (Laughing) Well, I'm here to stay. It's Mom and Dad who are leaving tomorrow.

PATRICK
(Nods head) I'm impressed. I'll sign off on your chart.

SUSANNAH
Good deal.

Susannah hears commotion from the hallway. She quickly gathers her purse and leaves the room, only to see Sam and Lahoma engaged in a spirited conversation with another man.

The man, who turns out to be George Cleypool, turns around, veins ready to pop out of his neck. He takes his wrath out on Susannah.

GEORGE
(Yelling)
Are you the irresponsible fool who nearly killed my son?

Susannah is shocked, while Sam and Lahoma have frustrated looks on their faces, as the picture fades to black.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

The Somerset theme is playing over the closing credits.

BILL WOLFF
This... was Somerset.

Women’s dresses by Betsy Johnson. Purses by Coach.

Stay tuned for Harpers Falls, which follows immediately on most of these same stations.

And join us each weekday afternoon at this time for the continuing story of Somerset. This program was pre-recorded.

No comments:

Post a Comment