Sunday, January 6, 2013

EPISODE 4 -- FEMALE BONDING

SOMERSET EPISODE 4
Writer: Steve Ungrey

SCENE ONE

FADE IN -- Alana’s apartment

In a section of Somerset near the hospital sits a complex of multi-story apartment buildings. This is the home to several dozen tenants, including one Alana Singleton, who lives alone in the complex.

Light music plays as we fade in on the empty apartment, but we hear a rustling of keys and an unlocking door.

Alana walks in with takeout food and turns on the light, setting the food on the counter. Pouring herself a glass of wine, we see her getting out the takeout she ordered and sitting at the dining room table.

Alana looks around and smiles.

ALANA
Home sweet home.

She’s just about to take a bite when the phone rings.

ALANA
How do they always know to call at dinner?

She rises from the table and heads over to the phone, picking it up.

ALANA
Hello?

Victoria is in her bedroom at the Petterino house, having an opportunity to take it easy after time on the hospital floor.

VICTORIA
Ahh, I see you answer your phone differently than "fourth floor, nurse Singleton" at home.

ALANA
(Laughs) Hey, Tori! I thought you were off duty.

VICTORIA
I am. Actually, I just stopped by the restaurant for a bit to check on things, came home, read a bit of LaVyrle Spencer and wondered if you were up for a little company.

ALANA
Ahh, don’t worry about it. You don't have to come over and keep me entertained.

VICTORIA
What if I brought a pint of ice cream?

ALANA
What flavor and what time can you get here? (Laughs)

VICTORIA
I take it that’s a yes. Mint chocolate chip it is and I’ll be over within a half hour.

ALANA
Fine and dandy. I’ll be looking for you then. See ya soon.

As Alana puts down the phone and returns to her takeout, she looks around and realizes this is the life. Opening the package, she begins eating -- light music plays and the picture fades to black.

We see an overhead shot of downtown as the camera is pulling away. The Somerset logo pops into position and goes toward the center of the screen as the familiar theme plays and announcer Bill Wolff speaks.

BILL WOLFF: From New York. This… is Somerset. This portion is brought to you today by mild Ivory liquid. Our creamiest, mildest Ivory ever. Still helps hands stay young looking.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE TWO

FADE IN -- Exterior shot of small restaurant building

We see the outside of a restaurant and hear cars honking in the background. It’s a busy night in Somerset as people are scattering to different places around the map.

The restaurant being shown is Giovanni's, downtown Somerset's finest purveyor of Italian cuisine. We dissolve to inside the restaurant, where Jack is meeting Sam, Lahoma and Susannah for dinner.

JACK
Gang, welcome to Giovanni’s!

LAHOMA
I can’t believe what’s been done with this place. It had a different name when Sam and I lived here in Somerset, but they had the best pizza I ever tasted outside of Oklahoma or Bay City. And I just loved the architecture of this building.

SAM
Yes. This is one of the buildings I vividly remember from our old days here.

JACK
Yes. I think the place was called Arturo’s before this?

SAM
That was it! Arturo’s Pizza!

JACK
Arturo retired about 25 years ago. Giovanni was one of the managers here and then he bought the building. Arturo ran an Italian restaurant here before he retired and Giovanni wanted to buy it right away and fulfill a dream of owning his own restaurant. He succeeded.

SAM
With your help, I’m guessing?

JACK
Actually, I wasn’t guilty of this. Giovanni and Rose did this all by themselves. Which was quite a trick considering they were building a family by that time. They’d already had Annabella and Johnny and I think Rose got pregnant several years later with Victoria.

A gentleman in his fifties, Giovanni Petterino, comes out from the back.

GIOVANNI
Bongiorno, Jack! (Grabs him and gives him a hug) Welcome to Giovanni’s!

JACK
Giovanni, your positive outlook never changes one bit.

GIOVANNI
And why should it? Mmm. Life is good. I see you've brought dinner guests?

JACK
Absolutely. Your finest table for four, if you do have one tonight. Nice to see the place so busy.

GIOVANNI
For you, anything. Considering you’re one of our oldest friends and you’re in here practically every day, even if it’s for a drink. (Grabs four menus) Right this way, my friends.

Giovanni seats the party at a big table for four and looks at Jack’s guests.

GIOVANNI
Jack, don’t be antisocial. And your guests are?

JACK
Giovanni, this is Somerset's newest lawyer, Susannah Lucas and her parents, Sam and Lahoma.

GIOVANNI
(Looking at Sam) You used to work in Somerset, didn’t you?

SAM
Am I that memorable a person? (Laughs)

GIOVANNI
No, I remember a Sam that Jack talked about many years ago. Something about an executive development program at Delaney Brands?

SAM
Then, yes, that would be me. I’m amazed you can recall back that far.

GIOVANNI
You probably guessed Jack and I go way back. Jack mentioned a few times about how your mentoring got him far in business.

LAHOMA
Then Sam must have done something right.

GIOVANNI
Right you are. Lahoma, it is so good to see you. (Looks at Susannah) And this is your darling daughter?

SUSANNAH
(Blushes) Charmed, I’m sure.

GIOVANNI
Ah, don’t mind me. Two darling daughters myself and a fine son. I’m a proud family man. You may run into Tori here soon.

JACK
Actually, you guys may run into each other before you know it. Susannah bought a house in Grant’s Preserve.

GIOVANNI
(Eyes widen) Wonderful! Now that deserves a bottle of the finest. Your choice.

SAM
Sure thing. Your choice, Giovanni. Susannah, Lahoma, that fine? (Both nod) Surprise us with something vintage.

GIOVANNI
Ah, good. Coming right up.

As Giovanni turns to head back toward the wine storage area, Susannah looks at the menu.

SUSANNAH
Well, there goes the diet. I can see where I'll be eating a lot when I need my Italian fix.

JACK
Provided they don’t feed you with other things. They have a tendency to cook and surprise their friends with way too much food to eat.

LAHOMA
It looks like this town has just exploded in growth in the last several years. What about other restaurants in the area?

JACK
Well, we’ve got Bernard’s just down the street. He runs a watering hole that also happens to serve some fine food as well. Some people tend to hang out there after work. We also have a couple good steakhouses, some Chinese...

LAHOMA
Oh, stop, you’re killing me already. What about the Hayloft and the Riverboat? Those were two really good places.

JACK
Actually, the Hayloft is Bernard’s. He bought it from Bill Greeley about 30 years ago and turned it into a one of a kind. They shut the original Riverboat down after all that violence years and years ago.

SAM
You mean AFTER Ike Harding’s death there?

JACK
Yes. It got to be a place where known criminals hung out. But someone rehabbed the original boat and reopened the property on Lake Sinclair several years ago. So same restaurant, new location.

LAHOMA
That was a nice place to eat.

JACK
Well, so is this. That’s why I wanted to bring you here. Eat. Then I tell you about everything I’ve got planned.

Susannah, Sam and Lahoma all have a look on their face as if they can't wait to hear it, as the picture fades to black.

BILL WOLFF: We'll return to Somerset in just a moment.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

(We see “Somerset” title card and hear a soft version of the theme)

BILL WOLFF: And now, following station identification, we return to the second half of Somerset. This portion of today’s program is brought to you by Bold Plus, the full-strength powder detergent with the fabric softener built right in.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE THREE

FADE IN -- City Hall

An exterior shot of a modern-looking office building is shown on screen. Somerset City Hall, which is located inside one of the city’s taller buildings that houses other government offices, is home to Nick Barclay, the youngest city manager in Somerset’s history.

We see Nick as he is getting ready to turn out the light after a long day on the job. Just as he's about to douse the lights, Mike comes knocking on the door.

MIKE
Don't tell me Somerset's youngest city manager is ready to call it a day.

NICK
You thought I'd be burning the candle at both ends as usual?

MIKE
Come on. You know the old saying. All work and no play...

NICK
Yes. Yes, I know that one. You're the one that ends up dull, unfortunately.

MIKE
(Feigns shock) Et tu, Nicholas? I just thought I'd stop by and drop off this folder.

Nick picks up the paper off his desk and looks at Mike a little strangely.

NICK
Somerset's Bid For Bachelors? Is that a hint?

MIKE
Hey, there will be bachelorettes there too. Sort of like Somerset’s version of The Dating Game. And it’s a fundraiser for the hospital.

NICK
(Looks it over) Now I remember this from a while back. And I should remember it for sure. How did you come across this folder? Don't tell me you're on the committee again.

MIKE
No, but they did leak me an advance copy. Relax, it’s not like I’m volunteering you tomorrow. I don’t think this is scheduled until October. They're still in the planning stages.

NICK
Good, because time right now is something at a premium.

MIKE
I hear you. Many hours in the day and not enough time to get everything done?

NICK
(Nods furiously) Don't you know it. Actually, I am looking forward to my first trip away from here next week.

MIKE
Ah, a junket. Let’s see, Nick. I better get out my notebook. (Reaches inside jacket) And just how is Somerset’s taxpayer money being wasted? Fruit fly research? The mating calls of Netherlands geese?

NICK
Stop, you’re killing me.

MIKE
I’ll be in Vegas all next week if you’d like to come see me.

NICK
Jack thought it would be good for me to get my feet wet at this convention in Washington. It's a convention for middle-population cities like ours. Mayors, city managers from all across the country are going to be there. It’s a way to network, that’s for sure.

MIKE
Ah, yes. Networking. Now are you any good at it?

NICK
Well, Jack’s hoping I am. I presume nothing will come of it, but it's not bad to get the name out there.

MIKE
So nothing eventful. In other words, perfect Register story.

NICK
Feel free to drop on by if you want a story on it.

MIKE
I'll be sure to come by when I'm on duty. Anyhow, take a look at that when you can. They’d love to have you.

NICK
I just bet they would.

Light music plays as Nick studies the paper, and we change scenes.

DISSOLVE TO -- Alana’s apartment

Tori has also brought takeout food over with her, in addition to a bottle of wine and the ice cream. The two are sharing the wine and eating their respective takeout.

ALANA
So what led you to ask if it was all right to come on over? Trying to score brownie points with the head nurses?

VICTORIA
No, not at all. Just need to unwind.

ALANA
I know that. Just giving you a hard time. Actually, you’re doing the right thing. You need to do this so you’re not constantly worrying about the hospital.

VICTORIA
You innocently mentioned something about going home, watching a DVD, chatting on the computer... I figured you could do that another night.

ALANA
I see. (Sips wine) And in the meantime, check and see how I'm doing here alone?

VICTORIA
Now did I say any such thing?

ALANA
(Sighs) Rose must really be worried about me.

VICTORIA
Well, she DID say it might be good if I checked on you.

Alana gets a sly grin on her face and laughs.

ALANA
Now the truth comes out. Tell Rose I'm doing just fine. I know how to relax, have a good evening away from the hospital...

VICTORIA
You know my mom. She just worries a bit, that's all.

ALANA
I'd have told you that you didn't have to drop by, but when you said the words ice cream I couldn't say no.

VICTORIA
Mint chocolate chip. You like?

ALANA
Me like. Open the box. Let's eat...

Alana and Victoria laugh as playful music fades us out of the scene to black.

We'll return to Somerset in just a moment.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

SCENE FOUR

FADE IN -- Alana’s apartment

We fade back in on Alana and Victoria each digging into a bowl of ice cream, knocking back and relaxing.

VICTORIA
I could get used to this.

ALANA
What, mint ice cream?

VICTORIA
No, the time away from the hospital. I'm not on duty again until tomorrow night, so I'm enjoying every last bit of freedom.

ALANA
Well, enjoy it while it lasts. As you get more years on the job, it seems like they want you more and more. Of course, I enjoy it.

VICTORIA
I do too. I keep telling myself when is enough enough, but I still have so much to learn.

ALANA
(Puts down bowl) And you're a fast learner. You'll be a pro in no time.

VICTORIA
Ah, I'm not worried. I'll be fine. Now you, on the other hand…

Alana shoots Victoria a dirty look.

ALANA
And just what do I have to learn?

VICTORIA
Just kidding.

Alana laughs, having been fooled by Tori's seriousness, as light music plays and the scene changes.

DISSOLVE TO -- Giovanni’s

Jack, Sam, Lahoma and Susannah are busy dining on Italian food and drink.

LAHOMA
Mmm... God, Jack, you weren't kidding.

JACK
Heavenly, or what?

SUSANNAH
No, I was thinking the other place. Sinful. Absolutely sinful. (Smiles) But good.

SAM
So Jack… you mentioned something in the office a couple days back about this grand scheme of yours, a plan that will turn Somerset on its ear. What’s going on with it?

JACK
Patience. Finish eating, and then you hear about the grand scheme of things.

SUSANNAH
To hear you talk, it's the plan that will change everything.

JACK
Exactly.

Jack smiles as he sips from his wine glass, looking intently at Susannah, Lahoma and Sam. Mysterious music plays as the picture fades out for the day.

COMMERCIAL BREAK

The Somerset logo reappears with the closing theme, accompanied by credits.

BILL WOLFF: Women’s dresses by Betsy Johnson. Sportswear by Alfani.

Join us each weekday at this time for the continuing story of Somerset. This program was pre-recorded. 

(For more quality drama be sure to check out OnTV, a site often imitated but NEVER duplicated.)

No comments:

Post a Comment